My Mono Trials Sucks!

Captain Scarlet

Well I've always complained that my Hope Mono trials front brake hasn't been up to scratch, it never has been 100%, but it worked good enough (say 80%).

A few weeks back, times where my brake held like a beast on a front wheel gap, it just slipped.

And then yesterday when I went out riding my front brake didn't work hardly at all, its crap as a normal brake it barely endo's me when riding in a straight line (I'd say 20% brake working).

I have cleaned up the rotor, and sanded down the pads a bit (they were a tad glazed), I have also checked for leaks at both ends of the brake and have found none, it also feels fine at the lever.

Is there anything else I could do, check or improve?

Thanks,

Tom

Boil your pads, and bleed your brake, lightly sand your rotor too?

Doesn't work I've found, doesn't get them hot enough.

I used a blow torch, burns off any oily residue, when you get flames coming off, it's hot enough, so keep moving it on and off the pad to stop it getting too hot.

Then put some sand paper on a flat surface and sand them on that.

Reassemble the bike, and get some nice mud, sloppy is best, get a handful and run some water through it. Smear it all the way rounf you rotor(s), then ride up and down the road to get them nice and hot and to let the mud scrub the pads. Smear it back round if it goes in the holes too much.

Wash it off with clean cold water, spray hose is good. Wash the caliper out really, really well.

Then ride up and down the road to get them hot so the water evapourates, don't wipe it off, you risk getting oily stuff back on them.

There will be a lot of people on here who will now say this:

No! Don't do that! Mud will just contaminate your pads again!!!! Stop!!!

Bollocks to them, they haven't tried it. The mud scrubs all the oil and burnt shit off the pads , acting like sand paper but bedding the pads in at the same time.

I do it all the time, you may have to run through a couple of times. Just from the adding mud bit.

Edited by El Muelio

I had that problem because some i had a leak and some fluid went on my disk

Just takes pads and disk off put them in a boiling water for a min them put them back on

ride along with your brake on trying to heat the disk up then poor some water on it do that a few times and it should works peferct

If not rebleed

Edited by trasher

I had that problem because some i had a leak and some fluid went on my disk

Just takes pads and disk off put them in a boiling water for a min them put them back on

ride along with your brake on trying to heat the disk up then poor some water one it do that a few times and it should works peferct

If not rebleed

I tried that first, barely made any difference, the pads were second hand and had been transported and stuff.

By all means try it first, but I have found that buring them and mud is the only way to get them to their full potential, my brakes are the best 160mm Mono Trials that I have ridden. My mate agrees, and he has an 07 rear. Mine are both 06, which are meant to be less powerful.

Yeah i use two 07 hope brake and that what i do all the time

I bet mine are better. :P

Nah, to be honest, with new pads that should be OK, but my mate just keeps buying new pads, and he says my 06s kick his 07s asses. I think that power wise, they are pretty similar, but mine are much more grabby.

Check you havnt got a piston sticking and if so give it a clean and oil and a fresh bleed. Burn your pads and give them a ruff up. Then just let then bed in by them selves. Dont use water pr mud. Water can glaze the pads if youpour it on when the pads are hot if youe been riding round and you usually find that people who bed in using water have to reguarly pour water on there brake to make it better. How on earth mud can work im not sure, Correct me if im wrong but disc brakes work the the fact pads and rotar are smooth. Ands thats what bedding in is the pads and disc smoothing of completely and removing coating there may be ect. So surely mud will only slow this process down as its acting as a abrasive.

Mine obviously, I mean seriously, who has a name like muel?

FO Bitch! :P

Mine is best, I have had disc brakes for two years now. On various bikes.

Trust the Muel, the Muel has fitted a rear disc to a frame without a disc mount, the Muel knows his shit.

Edited by El Muelio

Bollocks to them, they haven't tried it. The mud scrubs all the oil and burnt shit off the pads , acting like sand paper but bedding the pads in at the same time.

I do it all the time, you may have to run through a couple of times. Just from the adding mud bit.

I can vouch for the mud trick.

I baked my pads and also bolied the disc put it back on it was shit so i got mega anoyed and threw some wet mud at it (lol) then rubbed it round and i was amazed it was mint again :D

Well I'm thinking that it happened because my pads were glazed, and possibly a leak from my hose.

I snapped my banjo bolt yesterday, so took it to work where the mechanic made me a new one, rebled the brake and sanded the pads a bit, went out and rode it, its back to normal.

Thanks for the input anyways.