Shimano Bottom Brackets

Egg Fried Rice

ive been needing a new BB for my new frame and i usually get the UN53 127.5. Popped into my local shop today but they hadn't had any except the UN54's.

What actually the difference?

I've done some research and apparently the UN53 have been discontinued and the 54 is the replacement but with a hollow axle! I haven't got a 53 with me but is the 53 a hollow axle? if not, then do you think the 54 is okay to use? will i die? i mean its a hollow axle, must mean its got to be slightly weaker?

any help would be great.

JK

Yeah, I think the UN54 is pretty much the only option nowadays - unless you can find an old UN53 or 73. I've heard that the hollow axle is a good thing, since bottom brackets always break at the end of the crank bolt thread, because it's a stress riser. Having a straight-through axle eliminates the stress riser, apparently.

Anyway, the theory is that it's just as strong and lighter. I've got one. But I've never broken a BB anyway so can't really comment on strength.