Pc Has Gone Dead

Jonny Jones

OK today my Dad was on the PC downstairs (7 years old) doing a disk clean-up on the C drive (comp only has this one hard drive) and all of a sudden everything goes dead - computer and visuals. As soon as he shouted to me I was like oh I bet the power supply has gone, but it hasn't, its still feeding power to the motherboard etc - there's an LED on the m.b and its still coming on. When you press the on button on the front of the tower nothing happens. Can anybody think what might be up? Cheers in advance!

Edited by Jonny Jones

Does it make any beeping noises or is it completely dead?

Anything inside obviously loose/broken/burnt?

Could still be the PSU though. A PSU can supply a small amount of power even when the computer's off - This is why you can charge USB things with the computer off, and why the lights inside stay on.

Does it make any beeping noises or is it completely dead?

Anything inside obviously loose/broken/burnt?

Could still be the PSU though. A PSU can supply a small amount of power even when the computer's off - This is why you can charge USB things with the computer off, and why the lights inside stay on.

Oh right. Nothing happens at all. Nothing seems to be loose/broken/burnt as far as I can see. I might go to PC World and get a PSU and swap and see?

Edited by Jonny Jones

It's kinda hard to say. Like Broomer said it could well be the motherboard. Best thing to do would be to swap bits out of another computer (saves you buying things), but that isn't exactly easy unless you know someone with a similar computer.

Not sure :/

It's kinda hard to say. Like Broomer said it could well be the motherboard. Best thing to do would be to swap bits out of another computer (saves you buying things), but that isn't exactly easy unless you know someone with a similar computer.

Not sure :/

OK dude, yeah good point, ive got an old old pc lol that sits and does nothing, ill nick the psu out of that and see. I hope its not the m.b.

EDIT: Just compared the 'buggered' psu with an older one i have and there are too many differences in connections and cables so ill just go to PC World and get one 2moz, can always take it back/sell it.

Edited by Jonny Jones

The connections should be fairly standard :S

But the old one might not be powerful enough for a newer system - You can usually take bits out/unplug them to reduce power draw though (E.g extra ram, hard drives, CD-rom). To boot up you don't need anything in it really except the motherboard. If you just attach the motherboard (and CPU) it should power on and beep if it finds a problem (E.g. that it's missing some vital bits like RAM/video card). My point is that an old psu could almost certainly be used to test the system, if not run it properly.

The connections should be fairly standard :S

But the old one might not be powerful enough for a newer system - You can usually take bits out/unplug them to reduce power draw though (E.g extra ram, hard drives, CD-rom). To boot up you don't need anything in it really except the motherboard. If you just attach the motherboard (and CPU) it should power on and beep if it finds a problem (E.g. that it's missing some vital bits like RAM/video card). My point is that an old psu could almost certainly be used to test the system, if not run it properly.

Ahh ok, ill try it then:)