Re-classification Of Cannabis

Robwalker

I don't really care about the crime aspect of it, I was just talking about the health aspects.

But yes, (tobacco) cigarettes and alcohol are both much more deadly than cannabis. But saying it's the lesser of two (or three) evils doesn't mean it's good. The government's hands are tied - they can't just ban alcohol or cigarettes because it just wouldn't work because this country runs on fags on drinks. Cannabis is one thing they CAN outlaw, which most of this country's voters will support, rightly or wrongly.

As people have said (^^^), the people that want to smoke it will still be able to get hold of it (still with no real risk of serious penalties) and the world ticks along as before. Perhaps a small minority are deterred from smoking cannabis because it's illegal, but that would be younger people I'd imagine - exactly the people who need to be deterred. Read the article if you're interested - it basically says that people who smoke cannabis before the age of 13 are most likely to develop schizophrenia).

So maybe this health policy is aimed at reducing the number of young people smoking cannabis and it's smarter than you think. I don't know, I'm inclined to think that this country is probably run by some big brains who know what they're doing.