Skipping Troubles - Drivetrain Edition

N.Wood

So I've got an '07 Czar.

I also have brand new Trialtech sprockets front and rear, brand new Kool chain, and a 74Kingz tensioner.

I'm running 18:15.

The chain skips under 'rolling' loads such as taps/half pedal taps/ups to front/rolling gaps, but not on static moves.

It gets alot worse when the chain is not super tightened by the tensioner.

There is a fair bit of slack in the chain, but not enough to take out a link.

I've been running it now for... 4 or so days.

Other than letting it bed in (which will take how long?), what have you cats with a Czar and 18:15 done about it?

Cheers then!

when it happens rolling and not static...you know its because the chain is "riding up" somehow..

is it sitting on the tensioner properly- is it at the right contact angle kinda thing? is the chain-line straight? are you sure the parts are new? does the chain fit onto the sprockets properly (does it fit right down properly?)?

when it happens rolling and not static...you know its because the chain is "riding up" somehow..

is it sitting on the tensioner properly- is it at the right contact angle kinda thing? is the chain-line straight? are you sure the parts are new? does the chain fit onto the sprockets properly (does it fit right down properly?)?

Yeah sitting pretty well, chainline is fairly straight but will check it in more detail. Yes the parts are new. Yeah seems to fit together well.

what hub/freewheel you running? are the internals clean? you usually have to have quite alot of chain wrap on the rear sprocket with pro2s for singlespeed :S

Pro2, and yeah internals are good. seem to have ok chainwrap, I had this problem with 22:18 and solved it with a half link, but that snapped and I'm not too keen on running one.

Cheers.

Checked the chainline? Bent tensioner?

My Rohloff used to do this if it was slightly out. Bit of spanner action on the hanger and it's been perfect ever since.

Chainline seemed pretty straight, tensioner is a 74kingz so isn't too susceptible to being bent.

Cheers!