Can You Take Skf Bb's Apart?

planet x alan

right, the drive side cup on my skf bb is shagged, the part of it where the tool is supposed to go on has snapped off leaving nothing on the outside what so ever, the rest of the cup is intact still in my frame. it has managed to screw itself in causing my crank arm to hit against my chainstay. i can't get a tool against the left cup as the spacer is sticking out too far for my tool to reach over it (it normally would if the spacer wasn't sticking out so far)

i need to get this bb out.

i was thinking maybe if i could remove the axle and bearings then i could get to the buggered cup.

anyone got any bright ideas?

EDIT: i can get some pictures if i haven't explained clearly enough

Edited by planet x alan

Contact your local bike shop.. they will have come across problems like this before and should be able to help (at a small price).

My SKF cracked on the drive side but luckily i was able to use the existing part to unscrew the bb.

You can always phone Tartybikes Technical line (01772 323355) as i'm sure Adam will have some ideas and also perhaps carry out the labour required to remove the broken bb (again at a cost for his knowledge and skills)

Ask people with experience first, don't try and bodge it out as you will most likely cause damage to the threads and then have to pay even more to get them cleaned and tapped out.

Rob

bollobks just re-read that and your after drive side :( it it was non drive side or a removable axel, we have a sort of clamo type thing with opposite threads on either side. It goes through the axel hole in the bb, clamps itself onto either side of the thread, tighten either side up with big ajustables. then turn whichever side has the thread opposite to the way your undoing the BB cup with a beasty ajustable.

Thats my attempt to explain, not only is it hard to explain, but Im in agony with a crimped (or somthing like that) neck and im immensly tired. Sorry :)

Edit: my spelling is apauling due to typing this lying down with my head on a pillow, due to my bad neck. Sorry.

Edited by Tom_

bollobks just re-read that and your after drive side :( it it was non drive side or a removable axel, we have a sort of clamo type thing with opposite threads on either side. It goes through the axel hole in the bb, clamps itself onto either side of the thread, tighten either side up with big ajustables. then turn whichever side has the thread opposite to the way your undoing the BB cup with a beasty ajustable.

Thats my attempt to explain, not only is it hard to explain, but Im in agony with a crimped (or somthing like that) neck and im immensly tired. Sorry :)

haha no worries thanks for the advice anyway,i'l have another look at it tomorrow and try to come up with a plan, if that fails il resort to giving tarty a ring and seeing if they know anything