Into

Tristan

Hi guys....I've been a reader for some time but thought I would introduce myself and see if I can get authenticated :)

I'm 28 year old, originally Canadian but now living in Wellington, New Zealand. I've ridden trials on and off for 10 years or so but you wouldn't know it from my riding :$ I run a wheelbuilding business mainly building mid- to high-end road wheels and I think I can contribute to the forum on some of the recent wheel questions.

New Zealand has a pretty small trials scene but it seems to be growing and all of the guys are good blokes.

Here is my street / trials setup for those interested...it's nothing high-end but the longish wheelbase suits my height and it rides really well. Current weight with the seatpost and seat is on the porky side but it gets down to 10.0kg with a uni seat and a V-brake.

Cheers,

Tristan

speedrace.JPG

Wheelbase: 1070

Chainstay: 380

BB rise: +10mm

Fork length: 430 axle-crown

Weight: 10.9kg

Frame: Speedrace Satan

Fork: Steel, 430mm

Headset: Cane Creek

Stem: Truvativ XR

Bar: Truvativ Team

Seatpost: Thomson Elite, shortened

Seat collar: Salsa

Seat: Selle Italia XO

Brake levers: Avid Speeddial, return springs and reach adjustments removed, alloy clamp bolts

Brakes: Avid BB-7, alloy-backed resin pads, 160mm rotors

Grips: Odyssey Dually

Cranks: Shimano LX Hollowtech II, Shimano 22t chainring, Truvativ bashguard, steel bolts

Pedals: Specialized

Rear derailleur: Shimano DuraAce 7400

Chain: Shimano XT HG93 9speed

Hubs: DT Swiss Hugi 98

Cog: Surly 18t

Spokes: DT Swiss Competition w/ brass nipples

Rims: Alex Adventurer

Rimtape: Ritchey Snapon

Tubes: ones that hold air

Tyres: Maxxis ADvantage / CrossMark eXCeption

Hi Tristan welcome, nice bike you got there ...

Can i ask you how do you get your cable disc brakes to work good?

I ask this because, i have Hayes MX4 cable discs with Avid levers, and i cant get them to work good lol.

I cant/dont trust the back brake enough to do anything other than small peddal ups lol.

Any help from anyone on the forums on how to adjust them would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

Would love to do a riding trip in NZ one day. I live in Australia and while I have been over a couple of times I have never taken my bike. I imagine there would be some great natural if you knew where to look.

Tim

Ki ora Tristan!

i also am from New Zealand!

i live in Morrinsville in the Waikato.

are 20" better than 26"?

(I have next to no knowledge about bike trials, i ride motor trials but dont have time to do it really!)

i want to start bike trials because i think its COOL! and its interesting and fun,oh and in Morrinsville if you cant do trials you may as well not even ride!

i have a p2, but want to get a trials bike, was looking at getting a ZHI ZM2 but i read that if you ride a 26" bike, get a 26" trials bike

What should i do?

Thanks, Joe

p.s I am all ears to anyone with advice for me(And i need it!) :)

Edited by Joe OConnor

Ki ora Tristan!

i also am from New Zealand!

i live in Morrinsville in the Waikato.

Kia Ora Joe...There are a few riders up your end of the country. D'Arcy runs http://www.biketrial.co.nz/ and lives in Hamilton, you should get in touch with him if you're looking for a trials bike.

Hi Tristan welcome, nice bike you got there ...

Can i ask you how do you get your cable disc brakes to work good?

I ask this because, i have Hayes MX4 cable discs with Avid levers, and i cant get them to work good lol.

I cant/dont trust the back brake enough to do anything other than small peddal ups lol.

Any help from anyone on the forums on how to adjust them would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

The wiki on this site has some good instructions on how to setup an Avid mechanical brake...setting your Hayes up will be very similar.

thanks. i will see what i can do.

whats the riding like down in Wellington?

does the size of the stem and handle bars on trials bikes affect the riding ability?

on his web site it has a ordering email address(sales@biketrials.co.nz), do i just use that to email him? or is there another on to use?

Edited by Joe OConnor

thanks. i will see what i can do.

whats the riding like down in Wellington?

does the size of the stem and handle bars on trials bikes affect the riding ability?

on his web site it has a ordering email address(sales@biketrials.co.nz), do i just use that to email him? or is there another on to use?

The riding in Wellington is quite good, although not as good as what you see in the videos on this site!

You can use that email address to contact D'Arcy

Generally you want the handlebars to be as wide as possible while still being comfortable. The longer the stem the more 'trialsy' the bike will feel but it makes manuals harder. Its very much a personal preference as to what length stem you run.