Gear Hub

cheesy

Hey i will be getting a new hub sometime tomorrow that my father is buying me (woop woop) its 36 engagement or more (nice sound to it though) and i was just asking it you could take tooth sprockets off it so i can will just run a 15 tooth sprocket on it.

If so would could i do it without hurting it as much lol.

Thanks.

....Cheesy....

I'm confused what you mean.

What hub is it? When you say "gear hub" do you mean a rohloff speed hub? Or a Shimano Alfine etc.

Secondly, if you do mean one of those hubs, why would you use one if you only want to run single speed.

If you don't mean any of the above, what are you talking about. Just a normal hub? If so, are you talking about the cassette?

You can split cassettes and use whatever gear you want from that cassette, but you will need spacers.

If none of that helps, further explain what you mean.

If the 36 engagement hub is a shimano XT/XTR avoid it like the plague. The freehub may last (I have no reason to suspect the freehubs are that easy to break), but every current model XTR hub I now of that's seen mileage (2 for 2 so far) has had the axle snap in about a year with XC use only. Oversized thin walled axles, made from aluminium with threads cut into the outside of them aren't the best for fatigue life...

The only Shimano hubs that survive trials use are the previous two incarnations of XTR with 16 engagements (so not great in use, but surprisingly reliable).