Mineral Oil To Water Bleed

I-LikeMatchesDerFun

Right, I need to bleed my brakes and I am using oil. I can't be bothered to order Magura Blood from the UK so I'm wondering what are the alternative oils. What brands of mineral oil are there? Has anyone tried paraffin oil? I've also heard that LHM oil is good. Any help appreciated. Cheers,

Steve

EDIT Now going to try a water bleed :D

Edited by I-LikeMatchesDerFun

I have LHM and have been using it for years - it's indistinguishable (More or less) from Magura oil. Try a water bleed - I reckon that's where I'll go with my Maguras as soon as they develop a leak (Which may be never based on previous experience). Less drag at the lever and a quicker piston return with water.

Cheers for the replies. Hmmm, I might go for water as it's free and readily available. How difficult is it to go from an oil bleed to water bleed? What's the best way to get all the oil out? Undo bleed bolts and attach bike pump at slaves and let the air pump it out???

Cheers,

Steve

You can strip the lever right down and clean it out, but the slaves all you can do is blow through them with a tube really.

What I found was that after a few rides, the oil left in there rose to the top of the brake, in the lever, so you can simply undo both bleed bolts, attach the syringe to the slaves and blow it all out.

For best results, do a bucket bleed.

You can strip the lever right down and clean it out, but the slaves all you can do is blow through them with a tube really.

What I found was that after a few rides, the oil left in there rose to the top of the brake, in the lever, so you can simply undo both bleed bolts, attach the syringe to the slaves and blow it all out.

For best results, do a bucket bleed.

Cheers Muel. I'll try that.

Steve