Baking Pads.

davey1991

i know that baking contaminated pads can partially resolve the problem but i have three questions.

First, What temperature do i need to "bake" them at?

second, how long do i need to bake them for?

and finally do i bake the rotor aswell?

Thanks for any help,

Davey.

Edited by davey1991

i know that baking contaminated pads can partially resolve the problem but i have three questions.

First, What temperature do i need to "bake" them at?

second, how long do i need to bake them for?

and finally do i bake the rotor aswell?

Thanks for any help,

Davey.

I just used a lighter on my old pads, the serface of them is now totaly black and they look really bad, but on the bike they are tureley awsome, never had a better brake!

Edited by TrialsGilly

321549_blowtorch_1[2].jpg

That's what I used. It works but you'll never restore them to good working order. The only way to get proper braking again is to buy a new set of pads.

I know :( ill try blow torch tomorrow thanks guys, solved my problem :)

And yes ofc there disk pads. :P.

Basically when you burn them, any oil that's contaminating them will burn off and produce black smoke. When you burn them, do it until the smoke stops - I.e. when all the oil has burnt off (Then do it a bit more for good luck). You can do this any way you like - with a gas hob, or a blow torch, or even just on an electric hob (or even in the oven, apparently).

At the same time, take the disc off and wash it in warm (very) soapy water. It doesn't really matter what you use for this - Either use industrial strength degreaser or simply fairly liquid.

I've used this method a few time (gas hob + fairy liquid and water) and my brake has been as good as new afterwards :) (Although I suppose that might depend on the amount of contamination you've got)

Basically when you burn them, any oil that's contaminating them will burn off and produce black smoke. When you burn them, do it until the smoke stops - I.e. when all the oil has burnt off (Then do it a bit more for good luck). You can do this any way you like - with a gas hob, or a blow torch, or even just on an electric hob (or even in the oven, apparently).

At the same time, take the disc off and wash it in warm (very) soapy water. It doesn't really matter what you use for this - Either use industrial strength degreaser or simply fairly liquid.

I've used this method a few time (gas hob + fairy liquid and water) and my brake has been as good as new afterwards :) (Although I suppose that might depend on the amount of contamination you've got)

Thats the exact kind of answer i was looking for thanks Tomm.

time to go take my disk back off.