Mod Tyre Choice?

Steve-A

I'm looking for some info about mod tyre choices, I've had a search with little success and also checked the FAQ. Now I'm presuming this is a topic thats been covered lots in the past ,so if anyone cant point me at a similar topic thats great. ^_^

I've recently bought a second hand XTP short 20". Its currently fitted with Maxxis Creepy Crawlers but they are long past their best, so I'm after some new tyres. I've had a quick look and I can see there's Echo, Koxx, Maxxis and Monty tyres available that all look like they might be worth while.

How do they compare? I ride street most of the time and I prefer a lighter faster rolling tyre. I just prefer the way it feels for bunnyhops/spins/etc. I can see the Koxx and Monty tyres are lighter than the Maxxis and Echos, is this noticable? I'm quite tempted by the Koxx tyres as I've never had any, how do their rolling resistance compare to the others?

At the end of the day although I'm after a light free rolling tyre. If, for example, the monty tyres gripped much better and had better spring, then I'd probably go for them. But if everythnig is much of a muchness then I'll go for the lightest fastest tyre.

Most mod riders use Maxxis creepy crawler for there long lasting tread and good grip

The best setup and im sure other people will agree is a monty tyre on the rear and a try-all on the front.

People dont tend to get ear try-alls because of the soft compound they were realy quickly

Ive never tried the echo's so cant say much about them, so your best bet is getting a monty and a try-all :)

Hope i've helped

Ryan

p.s Where bouts in malvern you live? im down there every 4 weeks, you up for a ride sometime?

Edited by Ryan-Trials

Try-All tyres, Monty Eagle Claw, and Maxxis are all soft and sticky compound tyres that are popular for street and natural. Try-All tyre out of these three are the heaviest, and Maxxis is 1042g (sad that I know it off by heart...) and Monty is 996g.

As for front tyres: Try-All is the lightest here (unlike on the rear), with Maxxis and Monty trailing a little behind on the weight factor.. all grippy compounds

Onto Echo, these are the heaviest modern tyres, and aren't a sticky soft compound like the other three, it's more of a solid compound with very hard treads. Rolls better, it is noticable. A tad thinner than all three of the above tyres even if the stated 'geo' is 19x2.5 and 20x2.00. Get 'em if you want, but they are a bit generic.

Try-All rear tyre has by far got the most solid sidewalls. It is pure beefy rubber; whereas if you look at the Monty EC and Maxxis CC both of their rear sidewalls are slightly papery and you can see thread outlines. Echo's sidewall is sorta in between the Try-All and Maxxis/Monty.

For front tyre, get a Try-All. For the rear tyre, get the Monty it's basically a Maxxis CC V2... lighter, bouncier, and less pinch-prone. (this is a popular weight weenie setup :P)

Try-All rear is a very very good tyre, and in my opinion, the most solid all-round tyre. It definitely has the best manufacture and design quality about it. Slightly heavier than Monty and Maxxis but lighter than Echo. Atsuya (the Japanese wheelie/manual/stoppie kid) uses them, so does Keita Miyaoka and Marco Groesnik... all of which are very 'streety' mod riders.

Take your pick

EDIT: aimed at the post above mine... From a factual standpoint.. Maxxis CC wear out the fastest of all tyres (judging from the 11 Maxxis CC's that Joe Hodges and myself have used) and Try-All do actually last longer. Try-All lasted both of us a surprisingly long time.... and we've used 6 between us. Maxxis is a total no-no if you're aiming at a Danny Mac style.. since it's totally suited to short-term natural performance instead of drawn-out long-lasting fast-rolling street. And to the point about people not getting rear Try-Alls is because of the relatively higher price of them and the fact that some weight weenies dislike the extra 50g or so it has over a Maxxis... (not because Try-Alls wear quicker... that's totally untrue, and feel free to challenge me on that :)) Performance-wise, the Try-All and Monty are far superior to Maxxis CC.

Edited by Sponge

Cheers.

Looks like Try-All front for sure, and either Try-All or Monty for rear. I shan't be ordering till next week, so maybe I'll get chance to check out someone's bike with either Try-All or Monty rear tyre on saturday ( presuming the weather's not too horrid!).

I like the sound of the Monty rear being lighter, but at the same time 50g isn't much. Not like the difference I found on my 24" going from 1100g Maxxis to 400g Tioga!

When I had my Try-All tyre on the front, it had almost no form or spring to it at all (I could press the tyre in whilst it wasn't on the bike and it would stay like that, most other tyres would spring back.)

I also noticed that I could put the same amount of pressure in and that the tyre would feel softer than what I would usually have it.

This tyre is easily the best gripping tyre for a mod, but then this may be a disadvantage if you wanted something easier rolling for the street.

Best ones I can recommend for that are the Echo's, as they had a stiff form to them, and rather squishing a lot when hopping, they would have more of a bounce, almost as though it should be used for high pressures.

Adding to that, Halford's Apollo Awesome BMX's come with Echo bike trial tyres as standard.

=D