Hp Desktop Computer

BeNNy

Hi all,

Got a slight problem here with my cousin's computer.. he accepted one of those silly MSN Viruses and now his computer is failing to start up. Whenever he starts up, it takes ages to load.. then just stops loading.

There's an F10 option before boot up on the computer which is called "System Recovery". Is this a System restore option? Or recovery as in restoring the C drive? Was tempted to f10 it today but was scared that if it was restoring the hard drive, he would lose all his work etcetc on the hard drive.

I dunno the model number of the computer.. but it's a quite old one. XP btw.

Thanks guys!

logicaly and comeing form a cmoputery dad i think it would WIPE! the whole computer , didnt it ever occur to back the cmop up e.g. memory stick ?

Yeah I thought it was too. Hmm cheers anyways. Yeah don't think he backed his work up

I cbf how to explain how to start in safe mode, So this will.

Go on 'tinternet, Download malwarebytes. Then install start a scan, And off you gooooo. (Y)

He can't get on. Computer just freezes at start up so can't really open any applications

if he has important data there is a better way than system recovery but you need a second computer or another hard drive just follow my steps

using spare hard drive

1 - remove infected hard drive from computer

2 - install "spare" hard drive

3 - install a new copy of windows then shut down when install has finished

4 - reinstall infected drive as a slave (move jumpers on the back if required ide only)

5 - start computer and wait for drive to be installed

6 - you should now be able to access the infected drive to save the files needed copy them to cd or flash drive

7 - format infected drive to remove all files and the virus - shutdown

8 - select the drive you want to use and remove the other

9 - finally reinstall a clean copy of windows and copy the saved files back

10 - charge the person!

using another computer -ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A GOOD ANTIVIRUS AND SPYWARE PROGRAM

1 - remove infected drive from computer

2 - install the drive in the spare computer (move jumpers on the back if required ide only)

3 - wait for drive to show in "my computer"

4 - you should now be able to access the infected drive to save the files needed copy them to cd or flash drive

5 - format infected drive to remove all files and the virus - shutdown

6 - remove the drive and reinstall in the other computer

7 - install a fresh copy of windows and copy the files back

problem solved

ive done this so many times for friends who have got the "video virus" via the social sites (facebook, myspace and bebo)

hope i helped

Edited by maxxis26