Rim Brake Or Disc

matty allum

I'm using a disk ien the front and HS33 on the back.(smooth rim)

The maguras are perfect, they slipped only one or two since I got them.

I have also ridden a double disk bike but I didn't like the ''feel'' of the disk brake on the back.

It's only a personal preference though...

Sorry I forgot...I have tried the setups only on stock bikes

Edited by TrialZonn

if its a mod, then double disk is great!

Maguras are great on the rear, but I would NEVER have one on the front! Too noisy and you have to deflate your tyre to get the wheel out...I MUCH prefer a vee on the front.

But it's worth having a better brake on the front for all the effort of deflating your tyre every now and again surely?

No bite, too fiddly, you need a pretty stiff frame or they'll be really mushy at the lever, they can dig you in the ankles more, the pads can wear funny if they're not set-up perfectly.

Etc.

EDIT: In my experience, obviously for a lot of it I'll be wrong. :P

Edited by Muel

No bite, too fiddly, you need a pretty stiff frame or they'll be really mushy at the lever, they can dig you in the ankles more, the pads can wear funny if they're not set-up perfectly.

Etc.

EDIT: In my experience, obviously for a lot of it I'll be wrong. :P

Once everything is bolted to the frame, they are just as easy (maybe more) to set up as a maggie

A booster is vital for stiffness, more so than the frame used

I never had a vee dig into my ankles, but I have hit the noodle a couple of times

The pads wear MUCH better than magies! Vee pads don't get rounded corners and wear perfectly flat.

I think the reasons why people don't use vees is because they are ugly, require a bit more maintenance and people automaticly think they are shit because they have never tried them. I used a rear vee for 3 years and won a world championship round with them on, so they are far from shit.

I fancy trying one, but I don't know anyone with one and I can't justify buying one seeing as I recently spent £150 building my perfect maggy. :P

I just need more hold out of my Maggy, especially backwards. I've only got a 2 bolt Echo booster though on a Kot MS2 frame, so maybe I'd be better off with a bigger 4 bolt one...

I'll take less bite and noise if I can get more hold, because I have bucketloads to spare. :P

ahwell, yeah, they can be uber loud! but it depends on the setup I guess. my front vee is on a VERY light grind with koolstop pads. it does make a noice sometimes, but its pretty quiet generally (and works amazingly!)

Yeah, vees are the BOMB! They can be a wee bit funky to set up, but once you get them working good they rock!

hey Ali.. some questions for you

im going for front and rear v brake on my echo control short.

1-what brake do you recommend?(i saw you used xt on your azonys for some time)

avid ultmate are a bit dear.but from the simple ones (deore\avid sd3 etc etc)who should i take?

2-i have soo many HS33 pads i can still use.does the Onza V-Daptors any good?

or should i just buy some good v brake pads.

Yeah, I used the Xt arms for a while, they are a bit thinner than avid arms, this means you can set up the brake with the arms closer and pointing vertically. I found the fatter avids tended to stick out more and were easier to catch and lost some power.

If the Xt arms are too much, the LX ones are just as good. Don't bother with avid ultimates. I don't think sealed bearings are good for the the application. There's too much crushing force on them and they go rough. This can intefeer with the pads hitting the rim evenly,

As for pads, DON"T bother with vee daptors. they are fat (see above with brake arms) and allow the pad to wobble like a magura....One of the main advantages with a vee is that the pads a re locked solidly into place, this gives they even and a long wear life and increases hold.

I would recommend some rockpad cnc vee pads as the backings have the strongest threaded post (although the TNN vee pads maaay be out soonish in a vee version). Untill the TNN vee pads come out, the best pads BY FAR were my Joypad material ones. Fatmike now sells them as Phatpads, so get a pair of re-fills.

I would also recommend a booster, even if the brake is stiff without one, a booster will double the amount of hold the brake has.

Oh, and get some decent cable! Its a bit of a hassle, but go to your local bike shop and get them to order in a 15m roll of their oversized shimano gear cable. Its basicly the same as linear slick cables, but better and you get 15 meters which lasts ages! DEFFO worth getting. I also got a bulk box of inners (100 cables) 4 years ago, its still got plenty left now, I would recommend getting a box too!