Grinding Pads?

hdmackay

Using a grinder on your pads usually melts them instead of cutting them as your trying to remove as little material as you can whilst roughening up the surface. Extreme heat changes the material properties too so unless your really careful there's a chance of mucking them up entirely.

I've always found grinding them so the entire surface is flat without curved edges is far more beneficial than roughening up the pad surface. In fact, i don't know when the latter has ever been helpful as the grind wears the surface flat very quickly anyway.

Put the angle grinder down, and use rims without stupid grinds.

All grinds do is make your bike look and ride worse.

Hmmmmmm......

IF YOU CALL RIDING A BIKE WITH A WORSE BRAKE BETTER THEN YER, I WOULD NEVER USE SMOOTH RIM PADS AGAIN, ALRITE BITE BUT f**k ALL HOLD WITH OUT TAR. AND THEN THE RAIN COMES...... sorry for caps lol.

(Y)

Matt

Grinds are good for rims but why on earth would you grind the pads?! You'll just lose pad material and that stuff isn't cheap! Sometimes if the pads are looking glazed or they're contaminated, then I would take the shine off with some sandpaper, but using a grinder to do it is a bad idea.

I roughen them up, yes it does slightly melt the surface but never had a problem, if anything use sandpaper.

Then again if you use pads like Phat it's great straight out of the bag :$

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a grind on my back wheel and I was wondering if you are meant to angle grind your pads aswell to make the surface ruffer?

Some of my mates do it but other people don't.

Thanks

Hunter

Hi, yer grindong your pads is not the best idea, the only time i would ever do anything to my pads was if, they were brand new and they had a shiny film on them, but then i would only use sandpaper or sumthing to rub it off

The ground rim would give enough resistance and also you be going through pads like theres no tomorrow.

Dean.

surely roughing the surface will reduce the amount of material in contact with the rim and make the brake worse?

anyway just use decent pads and a decent grind (doesn't always need to be fresh/sharp)

and set up the brake PROPERLY!

my brake is never playing up because i take time and set up the brake well.

runnin monty pads (short) on a pretty worn grind (echo rim) with a booster and the original bleed for the maggie from 2005 :D

Edited by shamus

surely roughing the surface will reduce the amount of material in contact with the rim and make the brake worse?

No, it will increase the amount of pad to rim contact, because the pad and rim will interface more AKA the pad pushes into the surface of the rime more and increase the amount of contact.

Make sense?

Any way, I’ve never ground a pad; don’t think I ever will either. I sometimes sand the shiny surface off though.