Complete Noob Question

Bronz

Afternoon all, how's tricks?

I've recently got back into trials (having never really been any good). I bought a 2005 T-Pro complete setup from Aire Valley Cycles about 18 months ago, and have barely ridden it. However the headset is loose and tightening it just ain't working. I reckon I just need a new one but as I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with a mod I'm just going to buy a cheap headset to see me over until I decided where I'm headed with my riding.

My question is this: will this headset fit the '05 T-Pro? I can't find any complete specs of the bike online as it's a few models old, and as I am technically still kind of new to riding I'm not sure what exact headset mine is (I said it was a noob question!). Hopefully that will see me through 'til I get back into riding and then decide where I'm going with it next.

Cheers all, and apologies for my ignorance :)

Harry

Yes, the headset will fit. Onza, well the 08-'s are internal; im not sure about the 09's. :)

Sweet, cheers mate. I thought it would do but it's the kinda thing I'd do to order it and it not fit.

Appreciate it.

Harry

Best taking it to a cycle shop or a mates whos more technically minded than you. Knocking headsets in and out is easy but I would definatly get someone else to do it / show you so you know how to do it in the future.

Afternoon all, how's tricks?

I've recently got back into trials (having never really been any good). I bought a 2005 T-Pro complete setup from Aire Valley Cycles about 18 months ago, and have barely ridden it. However the headset is loose and tightening it just ain't working. I reckon I just need a new one but as I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with a mod I'm just going to buy a cheap headset to see me over until I decided where I'm headed with my riding.

My question is this: will this headset fit the '05 T-Pro? I can't find any complete specs of the bike online as it's a few models old, and as I am technically still kind of new to riding I'm not sure what exact headset mine is (I said it was a noob question!). Hopefully that will see me through 'til I get back into riding and then decide where I'm going with it next.

Cheers all, and apologies for my ignorance :)

Harry

Right before you go spending money on a new headset, if tightening it isn't doing anything you may have mangled your star bolt.

Also when tightening a headset you MUST loosen the bolts on the back of the stem first.

If you haven't checked your star bolt or tightened it properly don't but a new headset, check first.

Best taking it to a cycle shop or a mates whos more technically minded than you. Knocking headsets in and out is easy but I would definatly get someone else to do it / show you so you know how to do it in the future.

I was just coming back to ask the very same. I think I'll get it checked out by someone else haha.

Right before you go spending money on a new headset, if tightening it isn't doing anything you may have mangled your star bolt.

Also when tightening a headset you MUST loosen the bolts on the back of the stem first.

If you haven't checked your star bolt or tightened it properly don't but a new headset, check first.

And I think it may be the star—not opened it up and looked but I can't think what I could have done to a whole headset. I have loosened the bolts on the stem, though.

If it is just the star, can I pick these up easily enough?

Cheers guys.

Hmm, just got home and gave one last attempt at tightening it.

I really loosened the stem and started tightening the headset. I was surprised how much tighter it would go and I thought I'd just been a complete tit having not done this sooner. I finished tightening it, and started tightening the stem back up. I sheared one of the stem bolts and the headset is still wobbly. Fook. I've ordered a new headset and will find a decent bike shop nearby in the next few days.

Cheers guys,

Harry