Magura Issue....

Matthew62

I have an 05 style Magura that has a seized piston in the lever. For the life of me i cannot get the lever back to life?

I can remove the piston, i have thoroughly cleaned all the internals and i have attempted to lube the lever body and piston with... gt85, silicone fork spray, bike oil, groundnut oil, fairy liquid, and i have bled my brake with many different concoctions and everything i try doesn't work.

Each time the piston stick as soon as i press the lever and won't return. I even greased the internals with water repelent/non-oil splitting grease and nothing. I have replaced the seal and the spring and every time the piston still gets stuck.

has anyone got any idea of what may actually get my lever working again. Is it a case of just going back to Magura blood as it will hopefully lube up the piston or does it sound like the pistons may have swelled/nned replacing?

Any ideas, information or help would be massively appreciated as at the moment i cannot ride my bike due to a shitty 2cm long piece of plastic!!

Cheers in advance,

Matt.

I have an 05 style Magura that has a seized piston in the lever. For the life of me i cannot get the lever back to life?

I can remove the piston, i have thoroughly cleaned all the internals and i have attempted to lube the lever body and piston with... gt85, silicone fork spray, bike oil, groundnut oil, fairy liquid, and i have bled my brake with many different concoctions and everything i try doesn't work.

Each time the piston stick as soon as i press the lever and won't return. I even greased the internals with water repelent/non-oil splitting grease and nothing. I have replaced the seal and the spring and every time the piston still gets stuck.

has anyone got any idea of what may actually get my lever working again. Is it a case of just going back to Magura blood as it will hopefully lube up the piston or does it sound like the pistons may have swelled/nned replacing?

Any ideas, information or help would be massively appreciated as at the moment i cannot ride my bike due to a shitty 2cm long piece of plastic!!

Cheers in advance,

Matt.

I had the same problem, it sounds horriable but it really works.

Get some VERY very light sandpaper and gently and evenly sand round plastic bit try to avoid the rubber bits.

Do little bits re fit it check for movement and then the same again until it works again then completely soak it in oil and it should all be ok.

As long as you dont damage the rubber bits you'll be fine this has worked on 5 of my brakes!

I was thinking of something like that - the piston just seems too big. Easy enough to avoid the rubber parts.....just take them off. Did you not get a fairly rough finish that would cause more friction though?

Did you use something like wet and dry paper?

Edited by Matthew62

a few weeks ago my pistons were seizing (the pads were not retracting properly) i'm guessing it was due to the water bleed. So i knew it was time to go back to oil. I just gave it a really good bleed, i mean really good. the lever dosn't really feel any spongier than when it's water bled, and by the next ride it had totally sorted out the pis :) tons

How is removing the elasticity from the spring going to help move a stuck piston?

Sanding the piston is obviously not an attempt to save weight but to reduce the diameter therefore allowing it to move more freely inside the brake lever. Think i'll give the spring ruining idea a miss!

Apparantly you can use the piston from an 04 lever to solve the problem, or sand the piston down.

mine does it but it's not all that bad, so I'm planning just to leave it and hope the piston slowly wears away on the bore. :P

I was thinking of something like that - the piston just seems too big. Easy enough to avoid the rubber parts.....just take them off. Did you not get a fairly rough finish that would cause more friction though?

Did you use something like wet and dry paper?

Sorry here again, yes i did get a rough ish finish but as its the rubber bits that create the seal and create the majority of the friction it has little to no effect, i used slightly heavier than wet and dry but wet and dry does the job. Oil up the seals afterwards bleed them with magura blood first then either leave it like that or re bleed with water.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you use this method you need to make sure theres no plastic bits in the lever or it will jam in between the rubber seals and the plastic and un-do all your work.

Edited by davey1991