New Hope Rear Hub Or Cranks Freewheel And Fixed Rear Hub?

matt_urban

fixed setup or hope pro2 trials hub  

18 members have voted

1. 1. fixed setup or hope pro2 trials hub

• hope hub
    • trialtech cranks bash and fixed rear hub & freewheel

I run an ENO front freewheel and it's the single most reliable freewheel I've ever seen or used including rear hubs. The problem I have is that the threaded cranks available for front freewheels seem to be junk. I'm currently about to fit the 4th right hand crank since I bought my bike new at the start of 2008. All the cranks failed at the pedal threads or freewheel threads (Or both in the case of the last crank, but I'm at fault for the freehweel threads). I'm not exactly a lightweight rider, but I don't do huge gaps or drops either. Previously I ran Middleburn cranks for 2-3 years without any issues.

Problem is I don't trust any of the rear hubs on the market. The Hopes, while they're great to replace under warranty, often fail by having the drive shell crack, which means you've to dismantle your wheel, post the hub to Hope and rebuild when the replacement arrives, so basically you'll probably be off your bike for a week and need to spend an hour's work at stripping and rebuilding the wheel (Assuming you build your own wheels). Chris Kings cost a crazy amount of money and are very reliable. The problem with these is that when they do skip (And it does happen, sometimes even when you are religious about stripping and cleaning the hub every couple of months) they really skip, so that puts me off them, as does the price given they're not infallible.

If I was building my bike from scratch again I'd have to think long and hard about whether the front freewheel is worth it given the crank reliability, but I reckon I'd probably still go front freewheel and just keep a spare crank handy...

If ENO made a freewheel that fitted Middleburn cranks it would be the perfect setup...

Edited by psycholist