Brake Question (:

austen

Well my hope m4 is and has been sh*t since i bought it second hand so i can't be bothered paying more to try and fix it. So i want to try a mechanical break, because it saves bursting hoses, having to change seals and all the general problems I've previously had. So I'm wanting to try the BB7 cause all you guys seem to think there amazing haha.

But before I waste my money id like to know

1) Are these brakes good on the back?(I'm not using it for trials, I'm using it on my dmr so I need it to be good for dirt/street, will this make a difference?)

2) Do they have a good hold and bite, but also be able to be good for feathering for moves like manuals?

3) Would it be better to get another hydraulic brake like the avid juicy 7?

Cheers, Austen x

Well my hope m4 is and has been sh*t since i bought it second hand so i can't be bothered paying more to try and fix it. So i want to try a mechanical break, because it saves bursting hoses, having to change seals and all the general problems I've previously had. So I'm wanting to try the BB7 cause all you guys seem to think there amazing haha.

But before I waste my money id like to know

1) Are these brakes good on the back?(I'm not using it for trials, I'm using it on my dmr so I need it to be good for dirt/street, will this make a difference?)

2) Do they have a good hold and bite, but also be able to be good for feathering for moves like manuals?

3) Would it be better to get another hydraulic brake like the avid juicy 7?

Cheers, Austen x

I'm using Avid Single Digit 9 V-Brakes with Tektro levers on my Specialized P3 dirt jumper and they're faaantastic :)

Rear brakes sound like a swan in the wet mud but they've never once let me down. I'd sooner skid to my death than have a brake failure.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Depending on how you have the canti lever springs set up they can be good for feathering or for relentless instantaneous bite. I can do pretty decent nose manuals on mine though, they're set up just right for me.

Also, I find mechanical brakes more pleasant than hydraulics. I was going to make a thread regarding this but seeing as you essentially did it for me...

Does anyone else find that mechanical brakes are more comfortable and user friendly than hydraulics? I like being able to feel the cables moving as if i'm literally pinching the canti's myself. With hydraulics I tend to have a floppy little brake lever and I don't know how hard i'm gripping the rotor/rim with the pads until I lock up, and I generally have to put in alot of guesswork from how the bike generally responds.

I dunno.. I mean when I get my trials bike i'll have hydraulic rim/disc setup and just get used to it... But for now I'd never go hydraulic on my P3.

Edited by Herr.Wolfkatze

The avid bb7 brakes are very on or off they dont have a great amount of feel at the lever. I personally have had problems with hope brakes and i wont use em again. But might i suggest the hayes hfx 9 i have had one for 6 years now and never had a problem with it i had that on my mongoose ritual and i beat shit out of that and it was fine. Also i know everyone slates them as xc brakes but shimano are really good i have one on my gt and its still runnin good with only one set of pads and one bleed in 7 years. The juicy brakes are really good too wont go wrong with then either. Personally i prefer hydraulic brakes every time. They require so much less effort to pull at the lever and also think they provide more modulation aswell.

I'm using Avid Single Digit 9 V-Brakes with Tektro levers on my Specialized P3 dirt jumper and they're faaantastic :)

Rear brakes sound like a swan in the wet mud but they've never once let me down. I'd sooner skid to my death than have a brake failure.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Depending on how you have the canti lever springs set up they can be good for feathering or for relentless instantaneous bite. I can do pretty decent nose manuals on mine though, they're set up just right for me.

Also, I find mechanical brakes more pleasant than hydraulics. I was going to make a thread regarding this but seeing as you essentially did it for me...

Does anyone else find that mechanical brakes are more comfortable and user friendly than hydraulics? I like being able to feel the cables moving as if i'm literally pinching the canti's myself. With hydraulics I tend to have a floppy little brake lever and I don't know how hard i'm gripping the rotor/rim with the pads until I lock up, and I generally have to put in alot of guesswork from how the bike generally responds.

I dunno.. I mean when I get my trials bike i'll have hydraulic rim/disc setup and just get used to it... But for now I'd never go hydraulic on my P3.

The avid bb7 brakes are very on or off they dont have a great amount of feel at the lever. I personally have had problems with hope brakes and i wont use em again. But might i suggest the hayes hfx 9 i have had one for 6 years now and never had a problem with it i had that on my mongoose ritual and i beat shit out of that and it was fine. Also i know everyone slates them as xc brakes but shimano are really good i have one on my gt and its still runnin good with only one set of pads and one bleed in 7 years. The juicy brakes are really good too wont go wrong with then either. Personally i prefer hydraulic brakes every time. They require so much less effort to pull at the lever and also think they provide more modulation aswell.

Cheers for your replys!

and as for Hayes, I hate em, I hate the way they feel and all my mates have all broke them within a couple of months and generally not heard much good things about them!

My BB7 was fine for the rear of my 24", and are good enough for alot of peoples front brake for trials use - so they'll be more than good enough for the rear of a street bike..

And yes, they offer incredable hold and a nice bit of modulation. However I find them lacking in bite when on the rear.