Mont 219 Alp

jack c

I take it your Monty is still running a old rear freewheel? are your cranks still the original Monty ones that came on the bike when it was new? if they are can u tell how the sprockets held on? i.e thread,or is it like old 4 or 5 arm cranks and held on by allen key bolts?

yep i just see,iv been researchin it for you and looking at photos of the 219 Monty,do u need a new freewheel then because your original one has broken? and if so is it still on the rear wheel so you can see how many teeth it has? just trying work out the situation here,have you rode it yet? because i am just wondering wether you are just genuinely needing to replace a broken freewheel,or you rode it with the gear ratio its has now and you don't like the feel

hmmm? :/ really don't know what to suggest in that case,are you sure it's a 19th freewheel? i have just been on montybikes website and it shows the spec to be an 18th rear freewheel and then a 24tooth front chainring? :S

im sat here trying to think back to when i rode a bike with all its gears and shifters and trying to imagine what a 24:18 ratio would feel like? i currently run 18th front freewheel and 12th fixed sprocket on my Czar stock and i never find it too light,unless im building up speed to do manualing,i personaly would suggest sticking to what Monty intended,are you new to trials?

Does anyone know that if Jack was to use a smaller rear freewheel,would it give him a harder gear?? i cant get my head round it lol :S

Im pretty sure that if you was to try a smaller rear freewheel you would achieve a harder gear to ride with,problem will be finding a decent quality one with a decent ammount of engagement points?? hmm? think the only one ive seen worth mentioning is an acs claws,and even they arent amazing because you have to constantly tightnen the lockring and lifespan is not that impressive.....i'm trying to be helpfull though mate lol :)

Edited by craiggy1984

yeh should give you a harder gear,i remember on a really old bike when i was using the middle chainring which was like a 32 tooth,the smaller the sprocket i used on the rear cassette the harder the gear would be,so i should imagine same principle will work here,i did edit my last reply to this kind of saying that lol :P

im sat here trying to think back to when i rode a bike with all its gears and shifters and trying to imagine what a 24:18 ratio would feel like? i currently run 18th front freewheel and 12th fixed sprocket on my Czar stock and i never find it too light,unless im building up speed to do manualing,i personaly would suggest sticking to what Monty intended,are you new to trials?

Dude, 24:18 and 18:12 is the same gear (Y)