Super Fast Answer Needed Please

craiggy1984

In a nutshell,my mates f****d one of his maggie mounts on his pitbull frame,its usual M4 size,im just on my way to his with a 4.2mm and a 4.6mm drill bit and a perfect spankin new M5 tap piece,will it work instead of heli coiling? im just wondering because of the small difference in size?? help please

Nope, because they're M5 as standard anyway.

The only real way to sort it is to helicoil it. Some people tap out to M6, but it's a pain in the arse because you can't use a booster after that without getting bigger spacers made.

Itll work, of course you will also need to drill out the mounts too.

sweet,thanks paul,yep im takin two drill bits,i'll try the smaller one 1st because i want a good deep thread,im just wary because i've never really tapped aluminium and not so sure about the strength of the thread once you have made it,im an engineer and done it to steel plenty of time,also is it advisable to use talo(lard like lubrucant) on it?

Nope, because they're M5 as standard anyway.

The only real way to sort it is to helicoil it. Some people tap out to M6, but it's a pain in the arse because you can't use a booster after that without getting bigger spacers made.

Ooh mixed opinions :S

im just trying it for my friend to see if it works,i thought that they were M4 though as its a 4mm allen key you use to remove the bolts?? arrgghhh confusion settling in lol :P

My bad, Muel is right, you need to go to M6! You are better off helicoiling. As a temporary fix, use a hose clamp around the frame and mount to hold it in place until you can get a helicoil/insert.

dont think he's gonna go for hose clamps,its a new frame,he really needs to take care of his things but he's forever messing round undoing this and that,by hose clamps do you mean as in jubilee clips like they use on cars hoses?

will M5 defo have no hold what so ever??

forget this last post,i just tried that tap in my Gu frame sitting next to me and muels sooo right,the thread already is M5...DOH!! :(

Edited by craiggy1984

They're M5 now, if he's stripped them they need helicoiling really!

The only other thing I'd recommend trying is to see if the thread has all stripped out, almost always I've found people use bolts that are too short in these mounts. (10mm inside the frame at the most!).

Best bet, get it helicoiled, it's stronger than the standard threads anyway so it would be worth getting all of them done at once, then get some new stainless bolts that are too longer and cut them down to size. That was you have helicoiled threads and about 15mm+ of bolt inside the frame.

Jubilee clips work, although they can shift about a bit unless they're lamped up seriously tight.

EDIT: Too slow lol.

Edited by Muel

dont think he's gonna go for hose clamps,its a new frame,he really needs to take care of his things but he's forever messing round undoing this and that,by hose clamps do you mean as in jubilee clips like they use on cars hoses?

Jubilee clips (Y)

If he uses some old inner tube it wont hurt it much. Yes the bodge isnt perfect but its a good way of getting the bike useable for a ride until he can get it sorted properly.

They're M5 now, if he's stripped them they need helicoiling really!

The only other thing I'd recommend trying is to see if the thread has all stripped out, almost always I've found people use bolts that are too short in these mounts. (10mm inside the frame at the most!).

Best bet, get it helicoiled, it's stronger than the standard threads anyway so it would be worth getting all of them done at once, then get some new stainless bolts that are too longer and cut them down to size. That was you have helicoiled threads and about 15mm+ of bolt inside the frame.

Jubilee clips work, although they can shift about a bit unless they're lamped up seriously tight.

EDIT: Too slow lol.

Haha yeh coulda been a bit faster :P

Hmm im gonna have to break the bad news to him then,txt message ahoy lol....cheers for all the replys lads :D

Any links to helicoil kits and prices etc please (Y)

glad i never damage my frames,ha and he's off to work in halfords soon,hopefully he will learn how to not crossthread and strip,jeez...and thats exactly what he did muel,he tightened one side of the clamp down loads,then with it at an angle he pushed the other side of the clamp down and got the bolt to start going in,then obviously it got tight then pop!! out it come with the thred..he must have done it multiple times because there is nothing in there,you can drop the bolt in there without it touching the sides,kinda like a granny prositutes gash would be like hahaha!!

Jubilee clips (Y)

If he uses some old inner tube it wont hurt it much. Yes the bodge isnt perfect but its a good way of getting the bike useable for a ride until he can get it sorted properly.

nice one,good tip paul,i'll get him to do that till he can get a proper fix,although he never runs a booster so M6 might not be too bad to him,does rule out one option for him though if he ever decides he wants to run a booster

Nice analagy. :P

You can buy helicoil kits on ebay, but they work out about £20 posted. I just get the local motorbike shop to do mine for me, because he already has the tools so costs me far less.

Nice analagy. :P

You can buy helicoil kits on ebay, but they work out about £20 posted. I just get the local motorbike shop to do mine for me, because he already has the tools so costs me far less.

Why'a'thank you :) plenty of those ananlagy's to come haha...i'll have a look and advise my friend and make myself look clever all thanks to you guys :P

.............joking don't kill me lol,ill be sure to say how helpfull you all have been :D