Hope Mini Rear

Stanners

I have a rear hope mini which seems to have lost almost all of its power.......ive tried new pads, new rotor, re-bleed (several times) and checked for leaks, of which there are none. Yet when i heat it up by dragging the brake and pouring water on it, the brake has alot more power and screeches alot............im thinking pads.......some how ive contaminated them again? Can alignment of the caliper actually make that much loss of power?

Ive checked the hope website etc etc just fancy some answers from experience before going out buying pads.

Cheers

Rob (Y)

Cheers but i don't think it that..........err.........anyone?.........try new pads?...try those sintered fancy pads?......ill try a different rotor again tomorrow see if there's a difference.

Cheers

Rob

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/mtb_rt...pe_mini_fix.htm .........hmmmmmmmm

Edited by Stanners

Wouldn't bother paying much attention to those reviews as you want different braking properties for Xc/trail use. Go for sintered pads to give best braking performance, Hope's own should work well. Just make sure you give the rotor and caliper a good clean before you fit the pads.

Oh and that link about leaking calipers, its not an issue with mono trials since they are one piece (not that I have ever seen it be an issue with old calipers either).

Based on what evidence? Shorter life does not make for better brake performance! Organic are probably better for XC and trail use and you will often hear bad things about sintered pads used for that application. But for pure braking performance, sintered are the way to go. They have a higher metal content and give more powerful bite to the brake, which is exactly what you want for trials.

Based on what evidence? Shorter life does not make for better brake performance! Organic are probably better for XC and trail use and you will often hear bad things about sintered pads used for that application. But for pure braking performance, sintered are the way to go. They have a higher metal content and give more powerful bite to the brake, which is exactly what you want for trials.

Tarty is inclined to disagree: "Sintered offers long life, with the organic offering slightly better performance"

Wrong way round, sintered last longer, organic have better bite/power!

Tarty is inclined to disagree: "Sintered offers long life, with the organic offering slightly better performance"

That's a pretty brief overview of the many different properties of brake pads. Also Tarty only sell 3 types of disc brakes, its hardly a cornerstone of their buisness. Neither is it in their interest to complicate consumers choice by fully explaining all the pros and cons of every product they sell!

Wrong way round, sintered last longer, organic have better bite/power!

Oh right, I didn't realise your word was gospel! I will ask again, based on what evidence?

Either way organic pads will surely work fine, some companies organic pads can work really well. In particular Avid and Magura organics are good and still have decent bite. Sintered pads sometimes don't work as well if it gets really cold, but in my experience in the majority of cases they give better bite and more powerful braking. This is based on test riding hundreds of bikes with dozens of different pad and brake combinations.

This man's been around trials longer than most people have been born! I think he knows a thing or two about it...

Although i keep away from hydraulics, Ive always used sintered with my BB7, and its been the best thing EVER. Never failed on me in the dry, and slipped a bit in shitty wet comp conditions (Y)

Sorry it for the back of the downhiller not trials.......i keep away from discs full stop in trials lol.....

Cheers for the comments guys

went up to Grizedale Forest today and it worked okay with abit of shit on it.........but its gone crap again after i washed it......new pads :rolleyes:

cheers

Rob