University

Ollie Y

Right so here goes,

Im off to kingston upon thames to uni to study aersospace engineering, and i was wondering whether or not it is worth taking my bike, for starters, will i have anybody to ride with? in other words is anybody on here going to kingston or live in the area near by who rides? is the area any good for riding in?

and for those of you who are already at uni is it worth taking my bike, will it be too much of a distraction, or will it never see the light of day?

But yeah was just wondering if its worth taking and if it will get used

thank you

Oli

If you do take it make sure you've got some way of keeping it secure and you may want to look into insuring it. sounds crazy i know but my mate has just finished uni and he did motorcycle engineering at Kingston. He had a identity dr jekyll jump bike and that got stolen.

Studying Engineering you will be one of the few people who actually has to work in the first year. We had at least double the lectures of anyone else, and people who didn't do any work paid for it in the second year (saying "the first year doesn't count" is kind of irrelevant when the second year assumes you know everything from the first year).

Having said that, there's definitely time for riding. I went to Exeter and we had a great 'bikesoc' with people riding several times a week. You can probably find out in advance if there are many trials riders about by seeing if there is a bikesoc and sending them an email. The best thing to do with your bike is insure it for the new-cost. There are threads on here about that already, but in my case the bike was covered by my parents house insurance anywhere in Europe. If it's not on there already, it costs around £50-60 a year to add a bike worth over a grand.