04 Magura Master Piston Seized

eep803

Hi, sorry, I know this has been fairly well done but I can't quite seem to get mine fixed.

I have a pre 05 HS33 which was water bled when I bought it. A few months on and the master piston isn't springing back out all the way so I get pish braking.

I've taken it all off the bike, taken off all hoses, cleaned everything etc. The master piston was seized well down the bore so following instructions in the wiki I put it in the freezer and it came back to life with lots of free movement and return springyness. Until it warms up, then back to sticky seizyness. So I pop it back in the freezer, take out, lube, push in and out lots to spread the lube but as it warms up, sticky seizyness again. Repeat 5 times and still the same.

Is the donkey dead or is there more I can do? Tarty have some full hs33s on offer at the mo....

Cheers in advance for any help. Skinny

Take the piston out and remove the orange dust seal, they seem to harden when bled with water and stick. Mine did anyway.

If this doesn't sort it, remove the piston again and sand it down until it moves freely. not exactly sure how to do that though, it needs mounting into a lathe or dillar drill chuck somehow and sanding down with some wet and dry.

So how do I get them apart? Theres nothing on the piston to grip to pull it out. Theres a rubber seal around the top of the piston that goes in and out with it, is this the piston seal or a simple dust seal? I don't want to go hacking at it with a pair of tweezers or a hooky thing and end up trashing it.

Cheers

Take the hose off, attach it to the lever with the bleed bolt in and the lever blade removed, attach the end of the hose to a pump and carefully pump it out. Best to have a folded rag or towel for it to land into. (Hold it onto the lever with one hand and it'll stop it easy).

Take the piston out and remove the orange dust seal, they seem to harden when bled with water and stick. Mine did anyway.

If this doesn't sort it, remove the piston again and sand it down until it moves freely. not exactly sure how to do that though, it needs mounting into a lathe or dillar drill chuck somehow and sanding down with some wet and dry.

+1 you told me how to do this to mine an it works perfectly now (Y), i just sanded it slightly a fue times (by hand with normal sand paper) till i was happy with it poped it back in and has worked perfect ever since.

Thanks for helping me mate.

Hi, thats great, I tried a pump but couldn't blow it out, but stuck a thin piece of wire in through the bleed port and pushed it out that way. Theres an O ring half way up the piston and an orange dust seal at the top. The dust seal looks pretty stiff and worn so I may leave that off and try it with just the O ring. I don't figure trials gets half the dirt that trail riding does so it shouldn't wear too much.

Cheers for all the help. Skinny