Right, Getting Frustrated.

tkD

Hey guys, I'm getting rather frustrated with my ************************ing cranks, they keep coming loose. It's only the left side crank arm that is coming loose. I've taken it off, checked for rounded edges and so on, wacked it back on, and tightened it to buggeroo, I'm not weak so thats rather bloody tight, and it still comes off, I mean, wtf? Loctite? Will that really make ALL the difference :( help please. :

Ben meens that it might not be the cranks which are rounded its the BB

Just get a thick plastic bag cut it up a bit and stick it on the BB do it up and it should be fine.

The bottom bracket is fine also, this bike is like 3 days old :S

Apparently you have to tighten the cranks up as much as you can as soon as you get them, otherwise they'll just keep coming loose whatever you do. It happened to me as well, and eventually my cranks got shredded some how and I had to get new ones. I don't have any advice though lol 'cause I didn't even sort mine. Just warning you =S

I mean, really tight. I jumped on it until it made a "tight enought" noise. Just like when you use your foot to tighten up a car wheel.

WTF? You should never do that. The manufacturers equip the vehicle with a wheel wrench capable of delivering enough leverage to remove the wheel nuts/bolts when tightend to the correct torque. If you over tighten them then how do you get them off when you have a puncture?

WTF? You should never do that. The manufacturers equip the vehicle with a wheel wrench capable of delivering enough leverage to remove the wheel nuts/bolts when tightend to the correct torque. If you over tighten them then how do you get them off when you have a puncture?

Jump on it the otherway? :P So Loctite thread locker it is then?!

I had the szme problem, i got a new bb and it started to happen. so then i just put the old bolts in and it sorted it (the bolts was clean with no lock tite on)

What grade were the two sets of bolts?

Edit: Sorry for being so anal, just got a theory.

Edited by Dan_Trials

Every bike I've ever owned the cranks and bottom brackets ALWAYS go, I've rode bmx, dirt, park, allsorts. Always the bottom bracket and cranks. That should tell me something :/

Get some better cranks? >_<

Seriously though. Left hand cranks have a tendancy to come loose. As soon as they come loose they start to splay the taper on the cranks (guessing you have square taper interface) ending up in a rounded taper over time.

I'd first try a different bolt in, if you're struggling to tighten it properly try using a 14mm end bolt and tighten it up with a socket wrench, if you still find it comes loose, try some thread lock on the threads (or loctite if you want to get ripped off).

If you've knackered the taper on the cranks already and you don't fancy buying any new cranks you can try cutting some old drink cans up into 4 peices and placing it on each flat and then trying the crank on. Or try some thread lock on the taper.