Neon Bow Cracked

scottcj9

Hi, ok so basically i found a rather large crack in my neon bow mod frame that goes almost the whole way round the rear chainstay on the chain side. Fortunately im waiting to have my new onza ice frame fitted, but i as wondering if there was any way i could get the neon frame fixed? Or if id still be able to sell it and what kind of price would i get for it?

Thanks Scott

From what I beleive, Alu frames are not the easyest to re-weld, due to the strength being considerably weakened, especially if not heat treated.

Don't know the exact price of having a company weld a frame and then heat treating it, but my guess is, what its going to be worth after being repaired, may only just cover the price of the repair.

Ide just wait for your ICE Frame to be sorted, and place your Neon as a nice wall arangement :}

Edited by SCOTTY___

Cost more or less depends on who will do Aluminium welding near you. Any engineering place you can find should either be able to do it for you or at the very least tell you who is tooled up for the job locally.

If there's an easy going crowd it's often quite cheap (or free). But for a quick weld I wouldn't expect to pay more than 10 or 20 blips.

As far as strength is concerned....... It's just not going to last. You should expect to get a couple of weeks out of it so long as you're not really brutal with frames.

I have had a few Alu frames tacked back together now and most every time the cracks just move along the chainstay until there's just too much weld, not enough bike & you replace it anyway.

Still though having a bike for a fortnight has to be worth a tenner, right?

I know have the ice built, but the neon owes me money. I found out that it should cost about £20 to have it welded. The crack is on the weld that connects the chainstay and the downtube so i presume the frame will be rubbed down and welded over the original weld. Will this mean that it will be just as strong as it will basically just replace the original weld. Also if i run a rear disk is it likely to live any longer?

Thanks Scott

Hmm it will be weaker than the origional weld, however it will be a little stronger than if it was just a random crack in the middle of the stay. If you get it heat treated it will be even better. Can you not get onto who ever you bought the frame off and see if you could get any discount of another neon frame? or even get one for free?

Hmm it will be weaker than the origional weld, however it will be a little stronger than if it was just a random crack in the middle of the stay. If you get it heat treated it will be even better. Can you not get onto who ever you bought the frame off and see if you could get any discount of another neon frame? or even get one for free?

Ok well i only want to get it fixed to sell it.

The neon frame should be under warranty still as its only 6 months old, however i bought it from trials uk, and i only got it because my dad went and collected it. Would there still be a warranty on it and would i be able to get another due it to it cracking rather quickly or will it just be down to the amount i rode it?

Thanks Scott

Ok well i only want to get it fixed to sell it.

The neon frame should be under warranty still as its only 6 months old, however i bought it from trials uk, and i only got it because my dad went and collected it. Would there still be a warranty on it and would i be able to get another due it to it cracking rather quickly or will it just be down to the amount i rode it?

Thanks Scott

If its still under warranty then you should get another frame!! I would get onto them straight away!!! Doesnt matter how much you rode it or what ever, you still should get another frame. However trials-uk are rather shite as i am sure you aware, so i would possibly ring them and see if you can go with your dad and again pick another replacement frame up!