Brakes For Mission Prodigy?

Unipsycho

Pretty much all as above, I have a Mission Prodigy with no front brake, and the back brake isn't too good I don't think, so any help appreciated. And please none of those one word answers without reasons, I wanna know why I'm doing it, hopefully I'll learn something :) I assume it's the standard wheels that come with it, a 19x2.50 Maxiss rear tyre and a 20x2.0 Maxiss front tyre. Probably is, I vaguely recall seeing it but wouldn't put money on it :P ta much for help :)

Tom x

The one you posted a link to comes with vee brakes and 4 bolt mounts.

If thats what you have I would suggest Magura HS33s or upgrading to some better vee brakes, cables and levers.

But whatever you get make sure you get some good trials specific pads too :)

Edited by duncan_echo26

For the rear it sounds like you could just do with upgrading to some better pads and maybe getting grinding your rim. Is the brake feeling spongy and inconsistent when you pull the lever? If so it may need to be bled again, if not, leave it as it is :)

For pads your best bet is to try contacting Phatmike on here who runs Phatworks. If you use the search option you should also be able to find some pretty good advice on how to grind a rim, although if you're unsure at all get someone with experience to help you; angle grinders can be pretty darn dangerous. If the brake really needs a bleed, your local bike shop should be able to help you, but if you fancy giving it a crack yourself again Phatmike should be able to give you some pretty decent pointers. He does know an awful lot about brakes :)

Hope thats helped.

Rich

P.S. Oh yeah, repeat all this with the front for win (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Was playing with the bike today, and sussed that I have to pull the back brake so far that for it to stop the wheel, it's crushing my fingers which are still on the handlebar...how do I adjust it so that I don't have to pull the lever so far until the pads bite the wheel?

Also, still shopping for a front brake...would rather buy new, hoping that it'd come with instructions on how to assemble :P does it?

I'm sure I'll find somewhere on this site to tell me how exactly to do that :P right, I'm looking at front brakes, as far as I can tell hydraulic rim brakes look the same as v brakes. Difference please?

Also...Avid SD5 v brake off tarty for £17, any good? I'm thinking a v brake is gonna be easiest to put on and such, so that's swaying my decision a tad. Just wanna know if they're good enough to learn on? I just want something good enough for now to play with, nothing able to withstand intense inside-volcano and 50 000 feet pressures or whatever, just something a bit strong :P helping plizzums? Ta much :) x

Was playing with the bike today, and sussed that I have to pull the back brake so far that for it to stop the wheel, it's crushing my fingers which are still on the handlebar...how do I adjust it so that I don't have to pull the lever so far until the pads bite the wheel?

Also, still shopping for a front brake...would rather buy new, hoping that it'd come with instructions on how to assemble :P does it?

firstly, move the lever so that there is room for one finger on the lever

secondly, uno the 4 mm bolts on the rear brake and set it up closer to the rim for a harder feeling brake make sure the tpa (red wheel on the lever) is wound all the way in and if its still too soft you can wind this out slightly, set the brake up so its nice and square to the rim and all of the pad is touching the rim when the lever is pulled

as for a front brake i'd suggest a vee but thats just me you can use a disk too if you wish avid bb7's are really good cheap and easy to maintain, if your getting a vee the main differences are they hold a lot better, easier to set up, cheaper, and they wont leak or burst like maguras as for performance its all in the pads you use and how well its set up have a look on the heatsink website or on tarty theres a range of vee pads on either of those

Edited by WIGAN