Flaring Headtubes

hdmackay

I'm wanting to fit my headset cups myself using a block of wood and a hammer, but i've heard various people say that it can quite easily flare your headtube. That is the very last thing I want to happen.

So would you reccommend it?

I could go to my LBS, but if it's ok to do myself I owuld prefer because it's alot quicker and cheaper.

Thanks

Alright, cheers everyone. Guess i'll give it a shot.

So.. Place cup on headtube, wood over cup, hammer. Jobs a good' un.

... riiiight?

Hunter. Ill do it when you need it done, if you want?

I'll give it a bash myself, and if I fail that would be awesome thanks. :P

Yeh man, just put your headtube in the vice and squeeze the cups in, obviously making sure there straight, its pretty hard to flare a headtube, ive NEVER used a headset press, always used my hands or a vice, ive put in like 50 headsets in diff peoples bikes etc, honestly you wont have any problems using wood or whatever, just make sure its straight :).

Yeh man, just put your headtube in the vice and squeeze the cups in, obviously making sure there straight, its pretty hard to flare a headtube, ive NEVER used a headset press, always used my hands or a vice, ive put in like 50 headsets in diff peoples bikes etc, honestly you wont have any problems using wood or whatever, just make sure its straight :).

Don't have a vice, so will have to hammer.

Cheers though.

Also, are you meant to grease headset cups/ headtubes when fitting?

It'll go in easyer with abit of grease but it doesnt really matter if they go in already, are they really hard to put in or something?

I dunno. Not tried yet, haha. just wondering incase I don't use any grease and the cup gets stuck and won't come back out when the time comes.

You shouldn't use grease really as it allows the cups to shift slightly in the frame, making it much more likely to flare. Tarty's warrenty is voided if you use grease in there. :P

I have a press so I'd recommend one of those. (Y)

You shouldn't use grease really as it allows the cups to shift slightly in the frame, making it much more likely to flare. Tarty's warrenty is voided if you use grease in there. :P

I have a press so I'd recommend one of those. (Y)

Ahh, ok. So if I put it in completely dry it won't seize in or anything?

Hmm... I can't really justify paying £35 for a tool i'll use about twice a year though.

When your bashing it in. Try not to have the wood resting on the bearing. As you might crush them if it is. So be careful with that if you can.

Ahh Scott, that won't be neccessary. I don't have one of those gay deng headsets where the bearings are fixed in the cups. :P

Edited by hdmackay

Ahh Scott, that won't be neccessary. I don't have one of those gay deng headsets where the bearings are fixed in the cups. :P

There not fixed in the cups ;)

Ive had the bearings out of loads of deng headsets. I was taking Luke's bb out and his headset bearings fell out, Yes. Thats just how good Deng really is. Touch the bb and the headset falls to bits, Quality parts there ;)

There not fixed in the cups ;)

Ive had the bearings out of loads of deng headsets. I was taking Luke's bb out and his headset bearings fell out, Yes. Thats just how good Deng really is. Touch the bb and the headset falls to bits, Quality parts there ;)

Haha, sounds about right. However, had that been in 2004-2006 that would have been a whooole different story. :P

I would reccomend using just a rubber mallet. No block of wood, and no hammer.

If you use a rubber mallet its easier then having to hold a piece of wood there aswell as holding the frame AND hitting the wood near the middle of where you think the headtube is underneath.

I work in a bike shop and ive fitted countless headsets with just a rubber mallet, and ive never had a problem. They usually go in in 1 or 2 hits.

Edited by Clawz114

I would reccomend using just a rubber mallet. No block of wood, and no hammer.

If you use a rubber mallet its easier then having to hold a piece of wood there aswell as holding the frame AND hitting the wood near the middle of where you think the headtube is underneath.

I work in a bike shop and ive fitted countless headsets with just a rubber mallet, and ive never had a problem. They usually go in in 1 or 2 hits.

I don't have one though. :(