Sidehop Help

Luke.P

Hello all, I have been riding for about 3 and abit weeks and can sidehop just under bar hieght of my mod. The only problem is that i tend to put my foot down, out of about 50attemps i will land it only 3times and the rest i put my foot down. Is there any tips or suggestions that anyone could give to me.

Thanks

Luke

Sidehopping two and a half odd feet after 3 weeks seems pretty impressive to me! Maybe try something just a touch smaller until you have your balance sorted, you're more than likely putting so much effort into the takeoff that your landing is compromised, other than that, practice makes perfect, just keep going at it and eventually it will click! Been reading up on technique? Have a look at www.trashzen.com, lots of good stuff there. Always good to ride with someone better than you too, you'll learn a lot faster that way. You're obviously a quick learner, I couldn't do that after 3 weeks! Good luck with it man.

Thanks alot for that reply, and yes been on all those sites and on youtube. yes i ride with someone alot better than me but not all the time, i think the trouble is i have no balance because when i hop to do it i do one pedal kick then striaght up like you watch some people and they stay on the back wheel for ages and then hop. I can pedal kick forever lol that is not a problem just standing still on the back wheel seems to be or tiny hops to stay in one place then up so i have to do it really quick not getting full height. And thanks i have been riding for 3 and abit weeks i am 6ft 2 and half and i also throw the javelin 62 meters so i have power its just technique.

Thanks

Luke

The balance will come in time man, wouldn't worry about it, the more time you spend on the bike the more comfortable you'll become with it. Balance on the back wheel can take a long time to really dial in, took me months to become comfortable balancing like that, and it does help for making big hops. Those small hops give you time to compose yourself for more powerful moves. If you see that as being one of the problems then spend some more time simply working on your balance in general, sounds boring, but it will pay off in the end. Being able to pedal hop already is, again, impressive at 3 weeks, but matching it with good balance will leave you in good stead to take on much bigger obstacles. After all, balance is everything in trials. Good luck dude.

You can do about 35" sidehops, and you have been riding 3 and a bit weeks.

Bolloxs.

Anyway, just don't put your foot down. Theres no real help we can give you. If you know you can make it, go for it. Don't be a pussy and put your foot down, if you know you can make it.

Edited by Borat

thanks alot for helping me out (Y) and yes the day i got the bike i could do one side of the rode to the other and now i can do them for aslong as i want / until i run out of steam. I will try to work on these things for next time. Do you think i am doing ok atm like doing my bar hieght or should i be going higher at this stage (3weeks) i am fairly new to trials and dont really no if i am doing well or not? I mostly ride by myself or with bmx peopler and sometimes on a weekend go into mansfield to meet other riders

Thanks

Luke

Bolloxs.

Anyway, just don't put your foot down. Theres no real help we can give you. If you know you can make it, go for it. Don't be a pussy and put your foot down, if you know you can make it.

Ok then.

That's mental man!! I've managed 38" and that's after about 11 months riding!

Haha. Keep it up!

Thanks alot, I thought i was doing not so good to be fair as there are no trials riders where i live and no starters anywhere else to compare myself with

Cheers

Bolloxs.

Bit harsh no? Theres no need for that really, it's not constructive, he's new and wants to learn. He's been riding trials for 3 weeks, not necessarily riding a bike for 3 weeks! A background in bmx, for example, would leave anyone in a good place to start riding trials. I raced xc for the best part of ten years before I took it up and learnt pretty quickly by all accounts. So why bash it? I couldn't do that after three weeks, and I bet you couldn't, but I have no reason to doubt that he can't. The UK is full of talented and natural trials riders, for all you know he's the next Martyn Ashton.

@Luke - For how long you've been riding you're punching well above your weight. Tone it down, fine tune the basics before you unleash all that power, and you'll be a great rider. Keep it up man.

Bit harsh no? Theres no need for that really, it's not constructive, he's new and wants to learn. He's been riding trials for 3 weeks, not necessarily riding a bike for 3 weeks! A background in bmx, for example, would leave anyone in a good place to start riding trials. I raced xc for the best part of ten years before I took it up and learnt pretty quickly by all accounts. So why bash it? I couldn't do that after three weeks, and I bet you couldn't, but I have no reason to doubt that he can't. The UK is full of talented and natural trials riders, for all you know he's the next Martyn Ashton.

@Luke - For how long you've been riding you're punching well above your weight. Tone it down, fine tune the basics before you unleash all that power, and you'll be a great rider. Keep it up man.

Thanks alot for your comments. And why would i lie to be honest, if you do lie then your only cheating yourself no one else. Do you think i should get a video of my sidehop, wouldnt that help you alot more in analyzing my weaknesses? thats cool you did racing befor hand, i did a little bit of bmx now and again but never serious or anything like that at all. And yes i will tone it down abit instead of pushing already when i need to work on the essentials of trials instead of going mad.

Thanks

if its true , well done , but until video evedance is produced , im with mr chinnery im affraid

I understand completely where you are coming from, no evidence:). I will try and get a video up, its just i have nothing to record with..My phone is an iphone 3g (no video recorder) only camera. So i will have to borrow a video camera and get it on youtube or do a frame by frame camera photo or something.

Thanks

Luke