Strange Sound While Riding?

belga

Hey people!

I have an issue i was thinking you might be able to help me with.

I recently got my bike stolen (again...) and the new one is making a very strange noise when i ride and i can't figure out what it is.

The noise is a stiff kind of clicking sound coming from what i think is the handlebars and/or stem/headset. Almost like when a screw or bolt is really overtightened and then when you tighten it some more and it stops moving in a smooth turn and instead sorta jumps and makes sounds. I've checked all the bolts to make sure they are not too tight or too loose so that should not be the issue, but the sound is similar. Also it gets worse when it's hot outside. I didn't even notice it until the start of the heatwave over here right now and when the air temperature drops, the sound stops (or is reduced by a lot). Also it is not constant as i can ride a bit slower and smoother and it goes away.

I can't recreate the sound while standing still (tried both standing next to the bike and trackstand). I can twist and turn the handlebars all i want and it stays quiet. It's not until i get on the bike and start shifting my weight about that it starts, and only then at the moment when i start putting pressure on the pedals (weight shifts backwards). I have examined the handlebars, forks, wheels, stem and everything i can think of but find no cracks or dents or anything. Also i can not feel anything that's wrong. Nothing shift, bends or is giving in at all. I've also tried shifting the angle of the handlebars but it's still there. I had an idea about the paint on the handlebar becoming softer when it gets hot and that might let the handlebars move a bit even though i can't feel it but i not so sure that's possible. New bars are ordered but wont be here for another couple of weeks and i really don't want to miss out on riding while the weather is this fine :)

So, does anyone have any ideas as to where the sound is coming from and/or what to do about it?

Edited by belga

I had this problem aswell, grease up the bar clamp. That should do the trick.

Kieran.

wouldn't that risk the bars slipping? And if not, what effect would it have?

Is it more apparent when backhopping?

I've got a clicking stem/bar/headset too but haven't had the time to look into it. However, if you grease the headset races, handlebar clamp and stem clamp, it might disappear.

Haven't really gotten to backhopping in my riding yet (started fall 09 but have had 4 bikes stolen so far so effective riding time is way down :( ). I have tried it a few times and can hear no sound even if it is just a few small jumps.

where the stem is grooved where the bars clamp on, sand away the anodise on the clamp/base where the bars are in tact.

josh.

You mean i need to get the anodise color off from where the clamps meet the handlebar?

I can try that as soon as it stops raining :D

Edited by belga

A friend of mine used to have creaking sound coming out of his Chris King headset (!) and considered it was all about bearings maybe. Mostly, that noise appeared when he side-hop'd. When we removed the stem, urban forks he was running before had a small crack on the top crown. He's using another fork at the moment, it's all gone.

A friend of mine used to have creaking sound coming out of his Chris King headset (!) and considered it was all about bearings maybe. Mostly, that noise appeared when he side-hop'd. When we removed the stem, urban forks he was running before had a small crack on the top crown. He's using another fork at the moment, it's all gone.

This is my setup and i have the same problem! im sending my headset back to chris king to be sorted under the 10 million year warrenty..

*NEW HEADSET!!