Carbon Frame - Thoughts & Ideas ?

steve g

Hi, basically I fancy attempting to manufacture a carbon fiber mod frame, as its the least boring thing i could think of making for my A2 product design project :P

and it could potential get me good marks.

I've got quite a few ideas knocking around, just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions / usefull opinions / experience with carbon fiber ?

( please dont just winge about how it will fail is this doesnt help make it any better)

Ever worked with carbon before? it's an absolute bitch to get any kind of nice finish if you're leaving it raw (well, lacquered/ whatever) around joints etc - from my experience anyway. You'll be able to make it plenty strong enough, thought about how you're gonna do stuff like the bb thread, brake mounts etc?

Edited by Skoze

Ever worked with carbon before? it's an absolute bitch to get any kind of nice finish, especially around joints etc - from my experience anyway. You'll be able to make it plenty strong enough, thought about how you're gonna do stuff like the bb thread, brake mounts etc?

In terms of experience im goin in blind, im not too fussed about it looking pretty, its reasuring to hear that about strength though! im thinking about having an aluminium headtube and bb shell with stumps that extend slightly into the tubing to stop them twisting then just wrapping the carbon around them to create the real join. As for brakes im thinkin aluminium dropouts with a disc mount machined from the same piece as the left dropout, then join it the same way as the headtube and BB.

I know my description is awful :P but do your think this is a plausible way of doing it ?

Over size the tubes and fit aluminium shims where threads are needed?

Or you could have carbon tubes going into ally joints inc the bb shell? a la Koxx Karbon, but with more carbon...

lol, both beat me to it. :)

All the snapped carbon frames i've seen have been XC frames and they always seem to fail around the headtube area. This would need beefing up, especially for trials.

I would imagine due to the forces of pedal kicking you would also need to ensure the frame takes into account the level of twist when the pedal tension is used to propel a rider across a gap.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Might be worth a look. Also, check out the youtube vid at the bottom of the page. It certainly made me smile :D

All the snapped carbon frames i've seen have been XC frames and they always seem to fail around the headtube area. This would need beefing up, especially for trials.

I would imagine due to the forces of pedal kicking you would also need to ensure the frame takes into account the level of twist when the pedal tension is used to propel a rider across a gap.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Might be worth a look. Also, check out the youtube vid at the bottom of the page. It certainly made me smile :D

great link, identifiying weak points was on my to-do list, cheers :D

gotta be honest i wasnt expecting much when i started the topic, so thanks for the pleasant suprise everyone :)

• 1 month later...