Quick Question: Is It Normal For Disc Rotors To Crack?

Laurence--Trials

Possibly wrong but ill take a guess, since the rockman rotor will be light and light mostly = weak, then it will be bendable/crack easy. And if you look at the bb7, (at least in mine) when you pull it in, the rotor will put to one side/ flex. This rotor has possibly been to weak to withstand this flex, and has cracked.

Should be normal though, everything cracks at some point :)

Hope i helped you mate

Edited by Kieran Morrison

Possibly wrong but ill take a guess, since the rockman rotor will be light and light mostly = weak, then it will be bendable/crack easy. And if you look at the bb7, (at least in mine) when you pull it in, the rotor will put to one side/ flex. This rotor has possibly been to weak to withstand this flex, and has cracked.

Should be normal though, everything cracks at some point :)

Hope i helped you mate

True.. and yes but i have my right pad (the one that it pushes the rotor onto right up against the rotor as close as i can get it without rubbing.

For once the kids pretty much on the money.

A poorly set up or abused rotor with so little material will crack at some point. Have you knocked it at any point, or been running it for long?

I'm pretty sure i haven't hit it at any point and no i haven't had it for long but it was second hand off a mate, i don't know where he got it from though.

The Ashima/Rockman rotor seems to be pretty well designed, but it's also very light. Where has it cracked, it's either a material failure or a not so obvious stress raiser.

EDIT: It's probably worth mentioning that one generation (maybe the first) of Hope Mono Trial rotors had a problem with premature cracking which seemed to be down to an unforeseen stress concentration in the design.

Edited by Shaun H

The Ashima/Rockman rotor seems to be pretty well designed, but it's also very light. Where has it cracked, it's either a material failure or a not so obvious stress raiser.

EDIT: It's probably worth mentioning that one generation (maybe the first) of Hope Mono Trial rotors had a problem with premature cracking which seemed to be down to an unforeseen stress concentration in the design.

Okay you see the picture of the rotor, where each bolt goes/ each hole is connected to one short little bar bit and one long one its one of those long joins/ bars.

Sorry for bad description.

large_rockrotor.jpg

rockmancrack.jpg

If it's cracked where I've highlighted that wouldn't seem unusual if that's where you're trying to describe. It's the member which will be carrying the load from the brake caliper to the hub and the highlighted areas is of minimum cross section. The "small arm" as you described it will just be stiffening the central area and won't carry much force.

rockmancrack.jpg

If it's cracked where I've highlighted that wouldn't seem unusual if that's where you're trying to describe. It's the member which will be carrying the load from the brake caliper to the hub and the highlighted areas is of minimum cross section. The "small arm" as you described it will just be stiffening the central area and won't carry much force.

On that picture Its very slightly up and left.

EDIT: While i'm here would anyone have any uses for it?

Edited by Laurence--Trials