Freewheels

Noble biker

Hi i am just wondering what is the deal with people wanting really loud freewheels they do not care about the number of engagement points or anything like that they just want it to be as loud as possible ?

thanks

Mainly kids mate, it doesnt bother me personally, as long as it has lots of engagements, and is reliable then i dont care, although it just so happens i have an echo sl, which is all of the above and f**kin loud. lol.

The sound does indicate good, strong engagements.

I dont know, but my tensile 60 click is alot louder than my try-all 108.9. The try-all is such a better freehweel, smoother, more engagement points and doesnt skip, where as the tensile skips sometimes. So clearly the loudness doesnt indicate quality, although i think children think it does, as the chris king hubs are loud as fk. I really dont like a loud freewheel, or loud brakes, as i feel like a bellend when your doing trialsy stuff and u get proper wierd looks from the public, even more so if your brakes are honking and your freewheel is clicking really loudly.

I think it's because trials is a lot to do with sound. As it's such an on-the-edge sport you require more than one stimuli to your senses, this of course being sound.

If I had a quiet freewheel, I wouldn't know what my bike was doing, coming up to the edge of a wall and etc.

It's the same with my rear brake, I love having a squeeky rear brake as it lets me know that all is working and the pads are biting as they should.

This, for me, works the same with a loud freewheel, I can hear everything on what it's doing and I know it's functioning right.

Of course this is subjective, people don't mind about sound for example duel disk riders where the brakes give next to no sound at all, also people who ride with music on. :) hope this helps.

oh and I forgot to add, it makes your bike sound sick innit!

Edited by dann2707
  • Like 1

Mainly kids mate, it doesnt bother me personally, as long as it has lots of engagements, and is reliable then i dont care, although it just so happens i have an echo sl, which is all of the above and f**kin loud. lol.

The sound does indicate good, strong engagements.

No it doesn't it indicates a strong spring, you can make a hub with very very worn pawls sound as loud as a brand new hub.

But the point is as said its just kids who want to be noticed, i'd rather have a quiet Chris king over a loud shimano hub any day.

Well I arent very bothered about the loudness of the freewheel but I do ride with a Chris King hub on it but its quite because ive been told that the louder the freewheel the less grease is in it which will wreak it quicker

Again louder hub does not mean less grease.

Most people in the trials world use thin oil instead of the industry standard gloop, it cuts down on the risk of the hub skipping.

More thick grease can be a bad thing and can end very badly, usually with missing teeth.