Stem Geometry Question

Greetings

Spent the last 3 months creating a spec for my next bike, got pretty much everything dialled apart from the stem.

Has anyone compared a 138x25 Echo SL stem side by side with a TryAll 150x30 stem? I'm looking for something slightly longer but with a bar clamp height no more than 10mm greater than the Echo.

I haven't compared these stems side by side or anything, but this always helps me when deciding on stems:

3995710956_70f982a7a1_o.jpg

..I find it pretty useful for comparing stem hights/lengths etc..

EDIT: Have you considered the Monty PR stem? Its only £15, pretty light at 209 grams, and measures up at 150 x 25°.. Bad news is its currently on order dry.gif

Otherwise theres the V!Z Welded stem which is £39 and 207 grams and also 150 x 25°..

Edited by cai

Cheers, that diagram is actually quite helpful (Y)

As for the stems you mentioned, yes the Viz or Monty would probably be ideal but the Viz is only available in white and the PR is out of stock. The 2011 Viz stem has the geometry of the TryAll/Rockman which I'm not sure would suit me, especially after looking at that pic you posted.

edit: rough measurements

Echo SL 138x25 - 58mm rise and 125mm reach

TryAll 150x30 - 74mm rise and 129mm reach

Monty PR / Viz - 62mm rise and 135mm reach

So yeah, the Monty sounds pretty much perfect whereas the Tryall is out of the question.

Edited by Greetings

u say slightly longer than 150mm, the 221 kamel is 175x30, and i think the rise is 14mm but ill check on tarty, and when u say no more than 10mm higher than the echo, arent the echo TR like +25 already which is pretty high? If you ride mod then these are good, but maybe a bit longer than what your looking for?

Cheers, that diagram is actually quite helpful (Y)

As for the stems you mentioned, yes the Viz or Monty would probably be ideal but the Viz is only available in white and the PR is out of stock.

No problem man.

If I were you I'd contact TartyBikes when they're open again and ask when the PR will be back in stock (..or if it ever will again?).

If all else fails I wouldn't let the colour of the Viz stem put you off, after all with some paint stripper and polish it could easilly be made silver along with it then being a tad lighter :) or theres always a spray can if your stuck on having a black stem.