Has Anyone Run A Bashring On Their Bottom Bracket

EnnBee

Just bought an onza comp frame and have a set of try all cranks. The cranks only have enough room for a freewheel and i want to run a bashring. I have heard that you can put a bashring between the bb and frame and this should be ok. What do you think and has anyone done this without any problems. Also the bashplate mounts are going to be cut off so i cant run a plate before anyone suggests it. Thanks

Just bought an onza comp frame and have a set of try all cranks. The cranks only have enough room for a freewheel and i want to run a bashring. I have heard that you can put a bashring between the bb and frame and this should be ok. What do you think and has anyone done this without any problems. Also the bashplate mounts are going to be cut off so i cant run a plate before anyone suggests it. Thanks

riuns you chain line i am having the same problem with my evo

i had it, you just put it between the frame and the cup of the BB. It works alright but the bb cup kept coming loose for me, so had to tighten it all the time. I didnt notice any difference in my chain line, as the freewheel is on the splines, and my cranks went just as far on with or without the bashring there o.O. I didnt like it as it kept coming loose though.

Ahh John I thought he meant to literally have it sat on the axle without being locked into place by anything, my bad.

Surely with the bash ring actually attached to the BB more of the impact is going to go into the BB-Bearings?

But the crank is attached to the axle, which sits in the bearings, so I'd imagine it wouldn't make an amazing difference. The BB cups may shit themselves before the bearings do though.

i had it, you just put it between the frame and the cup of the BB. It works alright but the bb cup kept coming loose for me, so had to tighten it all the time. I didnt notice any difference in my chain line, as the freewheel is on the splines, and my cranks went just as far on with or without the bashring there o.O. I didnt like it as it kept coming loose though.

The crank arm will go on to the axle by the same amount yes, but you've effectively put a spacer onto your bottom bracket which will shunt the bottom bracket and axle to the right by however thick your bashring is. You're also not running such a thick spacer between the crank and freewheel if theres no bash on the crank arm so your freewheel is moved over to the right a little bit more as well. This WILL affect your chainline compared to running a bashring on the crank arm.

You probably could have stopped it undoing itself by cutting slight notches onto each side of the bashring to help it grip to the frame and BB and by putting locktight on the BB threads ;)

The only way you're really going to know if you can get away with it is to give it a go.

You're also not running such a thick spacer between the crank and freewheel if theres no bash on the crank arm so your freewheel is moved over to the right a little bit more as well. This WILL affect your chainline compared to running a bashring on the crank arm.

But he says he cant fit a bashring onto his cranks, so he must not have been running a bashring before, so i guess he will have the same chainline? I see what u mean by shunting the whole bb over a bit, but its not really that thick so you probably wont notice the diff? I didnt but ive only ridden once since taking it out o.O.

But he says he cant fit a bashring onto his cranks, so he must not have been running a bashring before, so i guess he will have the same chainline? I see what u mean by shunting the whole bb over a bit, but its not really that thick so you probably wont notice the diff? I didnt but ive only ridden once since taking it out o.O.

If the chainline is already on the point of being too far 3-5mm for the bash could be enough to make it constantly jump and put a lot of excess stress on his chain. He didn't say he'd run the cranks before, just that he had them hence the explanation to how it would affect the chainline in more than one way.