Winter Shoes/clothing And General Bike Clothing.

Al_Fel

I'm looking at getting some kit for winter to keep me warm and dry. I don't want to spend a fortune on stuff either to be honest. I wont be riding in too harsh of weather because I'm a fag but it would be nice to keep dry if it has a bit of a rain while I'm out. The main thing I'm looking for is water proof kind of shoes. I've got a habit of sticking my feet down in muddy sludge and puddles so it would be nice if they could handle that. Also I'm tempted to try spds but I don't want to be limited to only spds I'd like to be able to walk normally. I was looking at these but I've got no idea where to start to be honest. Some water proof socks would be nice too.

Next on the list would have to be a decent base layer/Jacket and trousers/shorts. Anyone who's in the know I'd really appreciate the advice.

My dad has 2 pairs of shoes for his spd pedals, he has some mountainy shoes which are meant to be walkable in, and then he has some trainer like ones which also are walkable. He says the mountainy ones are just not at all practicle for walking in, although you can, which is why he went for another pair of trainer type. I think although the mountainy ones look to be more rugged (sp?), in actual fact theyre not as there is little padding etc and its made out of a plasticy material, and water gets through them quite easily. He also has a pair of these sock things to go over the top of his shoes, which he says are the best bit of kit he has :P. Theyre 100% waterproof, and when you get lots of mud and shit on there (sludge for you :)), he just hoses them off whilst wearing them and his feet are still completely dry. I think he would strongly recommend the trainery type with the sock things, as opposed to the mountain type. However i havent actually worn these shoes, and am just going off what my dad thinks. Maybe for street the sock things arent so appropriate as they look a bit silly, but for comps + natural theyd be ideal.

Mountain type

Trainer Type

Overshoe

Hope i helped.

Edited by Jon Alty

My winter boots :giggle:

I wear two layers of socks atm, other than that I can't suggest any better biking shoes as I don't know any

Base layer wise, for your basic attire, you want Polyester.Its warm, wickable and doesn't ABSORB sweat like cotton. thats the key thing to be honest, cold sweats may be frequently heard of, but regularly ignored. Its the main reason people get cold even when they wear 3 cotton tshirts, all the sweats freezes them!

A more expensive baselayer contains merino wool. They're the dogs bollocks, like really. Super super warm, breathable and wickable again, but to be honest if you're still talking about riding in stuff, a merino wool base layer will probably be too warm.

Brandwise take your pick. Id go for North face, Berghaus, Helly Hanson, Ice breaker (expensive), mountain hardware/equipment (if they do them). Peter storm is slightly cheaper and not as good - probably contains more cotton so stay away if it does. Other than that go for around £30 for a decent, warm (but not too warm) benchmark

Buying waterproof shoes doesn't really work, since any reasonably-sized puddle just lets water in over the top. Seal skin socks are one of my favourite bits of kit - They're completely waterproof but again, they only work until water goes in the top (but at least they can be pulled up past your ankle). There's a knee-length version as well, but I figure they might look kinda gimpy.

If it's pretty cold I'll usually wear lycra bib tights, shorts over the top, a thermal base layer and a decent (I.e. 100% waterproof) jacket. That's kept me warm in almost any conditions, sometimes I'll put another layer on, and I've got some waterproof gloves which are awesome if your hands get cold. It doesn't keep your bottom half dry, but that's never really gonna happen.

Endura make some waterproof lycra stuff but it's expensive. I suppose coupled with some knee-length sealskins under the tights, and a decent jacket, you might just stay completely dry. I doubt it though.

I've been on rides with my dad where we've had to ride through streams and he's come out with dry feet wearing these.

I should get something like those. I mean, I very much doubt they're impenetrable to water but they look as though they'd at least let less water in than my MP66. They ain't white though :P

I should get something like those. I mean, I very much doubt they're impenetrable to water but they look as though they'd at least let less water in than my MP66. They ain't white though :P

After seeing what they can handle, I'll probably get some (or the similar ones done by Northwave etc) next year when I hopefully have a bit more disposable income.

Right boys and Girls thanks for all the advice. This is what I've ended up with.

Base layer Mavic Equipe £24.96 ChainReaction

43721.jpg

Under cracker shorts Endura Click fast mesh liner £16.99 ChainReaction

51305.jpg

Endura Superlite Shell Shorts £47.99 ChainReaction

19369.jpg

Endura Gridlock Overtrouser £37.99 ChainReaction

9273.jpg

Endura MT500 Jacket £132.99 ChainReaction

50000.jpg

Northwave Contact Gloves 2011 £17.99 ChainReaction

56868.jpg

Sealskinz Mid Thermal Socks £24 Ebay

mid-thermal-sock-ke251.jpg

Shimano AM41 MTB SPD Shoe £59.99 Cyclecube

55371.jpg

I'm still waiting for my shoes to turn up from Cyclecube but I've tried everything else on and it all feels like really good stuff. I'll stick another post up here when I've been out in the real world and got wet and muddy.

I'm pretty happy with everything I've got it all feels like really good quality stuff. In total I've paid £362.90 Which is a lot more than I really wanted to spend but I think I've made the right choice. We'll soon see.

Hopefully this will help other people out there looking for the same kind of gear.

I'm pretty happy with everything I've got it all feels like really good quality stuff. In total I've paid £362.90 Which is a lot more than I really wanted to spend but I think I've made the right choice. We'll soon see.

Sounds like a good choice. Good clothing can turn a shite ride into a good one.