2011 Echo 24"

Luke Dunstan

what bike did you ride before you got this, and how does this ride in comparison? ta.

Before this I rode a long 24" Marino. It was 1085. I've not properly ridden it yet, just a few hops in the road but it feels beautiful, really nice. Hopefully riding tomorrow so I'll be able to give a better review of it.

looks good btw, the new echo range is growing on me bigtime.

Cheers mate. I love the clean looks.

What gearage you using?

18:14

That looks sweet! Really want to get me one of these!

Also are the Echo graphics stick on or etched on?

Stickers.

Hey man, really nice bike. I'm thinking of giving 24'' a go and using this frame. How do you find it now it's built?

Nice, as I just said to someone else, riding it properly tomorrow so I'll let you know. (Y)

How does the bike feel compared to what you used to ride? I am most interested in performance wise, does it limit you in any ways? Thanks!

It feels different only in the length, my old frame was 1085 so a bit longer, maybe too long. this feels perfect, really nice on the back wheel.

And you had issues with tyre clearance I take it, hence the chain?

Is that a 2.7 high roller?

It is a 2.7 high roller, I don't know why I had a problem but a new Kmc chain wouldn't work. Was either too short or too long, so I just went half link.

just get a Kmc with 1 half link?

Do that! Unless you are on 18-14 gearing that should be fine without half link with that frame. I snapped one long time ago and did not end up well and took me ages to regain confidence in chain again!

Edited by 3dd

Think he is saying that on the ratio you are using you shouldnt need a half link, I dont know because I havent got a 24 echo. Yes a kmc with a half link is better than a full half link chain but inevitabley the weakpoint will be the one half link in the kmc.

What gave you the impression they were stronger?? They are flawed by design as they usually snap on the crease were the link points inwards.

Think he is saying that on the ratio you are using you shouldnt need a half link, I dont know because I havent got a 24 echo. Yes a kmc with a half link is better than a full half link chain but inevitabley the weakpoint will be the one half link in the kmc.

What gave you the impression they were stronger?? They are flawed by design as they usually snap on the crease were the link points inwards.

I assumed they were stronger because they looked "beefy". A normal chain should fit, but I'm running a 2.7 tyre. The chain is either 1 link to short, or 1 link too long.

Well your two options are to get a smaller tyre or run one half link, my choice would definately be the latter but I know your options for a 24 trials tyre are very limited. I used to run a 24 schwalbe big betty for a short time when i had my because, good tyre all round just makesure you get the softer compound one.

Well your two options are to get a smaller tyre or run one half link, my choice would definately be the latter but I know your options for a 24 trials tyre are very limited. I used to run a 24 schwalbe big betty for a short time when i had my because, good tyre all round just makesure you get the softer compound one.

Cool, okay. Thanks for all your advice mate. (Y)

Cool, okay. Thanks for all your advice mate. (Y)

prod_7101.jpg

I got myself one of these. Pattern looks better in real life and its dual ply. 300g lighter than 2.7 beast! Maxxis will be releasing 2.5 hi-rollers this year again.I think you can get hold of 2.5 maxpro 60A compound already but not the softer 42A one. Strangely the link below had 42 ETA for end of february but now they took it off.

LINK

Edited by 3dd

• 4 weeks later...

Just weighed in at 12Kg!!!

Don't want to be a weight weeny, but that's pretty heavy.

Any ideas to shed weight without compromising strength?

Mine was below 10. But I had lighter rims (trialtech lite) and lighter back tyre. Atleast put a swapthing on it, that will make rear end lighter by around 400g. Go for front magie, will save weight. Mag platform pedals or echo TR or try-all/rockman cages are around 150g ligher what you have at the moment. Put KMC z610 chain on and it will save another 100 or more g's. Offcourse I dont have to tell you about TI bolts, but that is a last resort I guess.

Edited by 3dd