Video Editing Software

tdubz

more video advice needed

i have got myself a hd camcorder capable of doing 1080 and 720

it outputs the video files as .mov

i would like a recommendation of a simple to use editing suite that will keep my HD quality and allow me to join clips a bit of text maybe and some music behind them and maybe a bit of slo mo

thats all i really want it to do

it has to be easy to use

i have sony vegas 9 and firstly it doesnt like the .mov files and secondly i dont have the hours to learn to use it well

tried various codec converters with a view to doing my ediiting in windows movie maker but the quality came out definatly below par

i am open to suggestions regarding both how i can get round the .mov problem but still keep good quality (maybe what settings to encode to) and also what software for editing and encoding whichever applies

thanks for the advice in advance

one of the problems with vegas is it doesnt like the .mov format very much either

anybody know of any good converters to use to keep good formatting prehaps to encode to mp4 or what other format is good?

Sony Vegas is fine with *.mov files, but you must remember that *.mov is only a container format, so one *.mov will be fine for Vegas, the other not good dependant on the file codec in the container.

I'd try some different converting software and that should do the trick.

In terms of editing with HD, it may depend on your computer set-up, I'm not sure what spec your computer is but usually to cope with HD rendering it requires quite a recent processor and at least 2gb of RAM.

Vegas will cope with *.MOV files fine, as long as you have the right codecs installed.

Download and install VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) and FFDSHOW (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ffdshow.htm) and it should be able to cope with pretty much anything you throw at it. I haven't come across a format I haven't been able to edit with this setup yet.

Edit to say: Converting software is horrible, ruins the quality of your raw footage and just bloats your computer. Avoid at all costs, far better to use the right codecs instead.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by eddbmxdude