Brake Advice?

hey :) i recently posted on here about what sort of 24inch bike i should get as im a begginer.. and almost everyone has said the onza zoot.. so i have been looking around and found one on this forum for £150 although it is brakeless.. i was just wondering.. how much would it be to fit brakes.. and is it somthing thats easy to do?

thanks so much! :D

hey :) i recently posted on here about what sort of 24inch bike i should get as im a begginer.. and almost everyone has said the onza zoot.. so i have been looking around and found one on this forum for £150 although it is brakeless.. i was just wondering.. how much would it be to fit brakes.. and is it somthing thats easy to do?

thanks so much! :D

Well it all depends on what brakes you going to put on the bike.

If your looking for a set of maggies for it, then brand new your looking at £100 just over really. But then second hand and it could be half the price, depends what mounts and pads you want. You can buy standard maggie mounts around £20 and pads range from £10 up to around £35ish.

Getting the brakes on the bike won't be an issues as its just a few bolts but if they needed bleeding then will be a little less simple. But thats what the forum is all about to help riders out so few tutorials and your on your way mate.

Not a problem really..If you're getting vee's they're really easy to fit..follow this video

Only problem arises when your rim isn't true..but there are tutorial to fix that too even if it's a bit more complicated

Mechanical disks are quite easy too..all you need to do is follow the manual

They must be in good condition because a bent rotor could make you go mad

I've no idea about maggies because I've never had them..

Hydraulic discs in my opinion are quite easy..just need to follow the manual and be sure to bleed them properly

Here also a bent rotor can make you nuts

In the end it's just a few bolts and knowing what you're doing..nothing impossible :turned:

wow thanks so much! its so nice to know there is some one who understands this :L i know this is really cheeky to ask but do you have a link to any of them? thanks sososososo much..

These are Magura brakes. Have a look around this site for brake pads and brake clamps also.

Edited by max-t

Hydraulic brakes are good, if you get one get an HS33! I got one quite recently, and I have been riding for around two months. I found that replacing my V-brake for hydraulic really helped my riding.

If you get a hydraulic, you will also need to get clamps, which are around £20/25 and you may want new pads which can be anything from £10 to 35.

Hope this helps! :)