Advice Please! :)

Joshm1991

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to the whole trials thing and have recently bought my first trials bike!! My first big question is I need a single speed conversion for my M.A.D Phase 1.2 but can't decide on what I need to get!! Like I say im new to the whole trials thing so keeping it simlpe would be helpfull!! I have attached a picture of the bike so you can see what it looks like!!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Joosh

post-29905-0-69519600-1308233102_thumb.j

Hey Josh,

I've just bought one of these aswell but im still waiting for mine to be delivered :(

i bought a singlespeed kit from superstar components for £10: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=265

i went for the 18 tooth because everyone recommended 22:18 gearing.

it looks like a good kit for the money you will probably need a chain tensioner aswell, althouh some people ive noticed dont run them on phase 1.2's, not quite sure how.

if you can find someone to help you fit it as it will be alot easier (Y)

hope this helps,

Jed

Ahh right cool!! Well I must warn you, when it comes, make sure the crank arms are realllly tight before you use it!! I'm having a right clart on with mine keep falling off!! Its a nice bike for the price!! And i'll have a look at the one you posted and see if its any good!! Like I say I dont know much about them but I work at Halfords so I might have to bribe the BikeHut to do it for me!! :D

Thanks

Joosh

some people ive noticed dont run them on phase 1.2's, not quite sure how.

I've had my Phase 1.2. single speed for about 6 months, but I didn't get a single speed kit, I just bought a new rear wheel with a hope freehub. You will need a chain tensioner whichever route you take, new wheel or ss kit, the only way to get away with not buying a tensioner is to use the derailleur from your gears, take all the cables and stuff off and just use that to keep tension, although it's pretty big and you'll end up hitting it a lot, I did it for about two rides, then ditched it after breaking two mech hangers.

People that don't use any form of tensioner on bikes with vertical dropouts do so by having the perfect length of chain, so that it will only just reach, although it's very likely that the chain can be too tight or too loose, meaning that it could chew up bearings or come off mid-pedal stroke, neither of which are particularly great experiences. Save yourself the hassle and buy a tensioner. I use a Trialtech sprung tensioner, easy to set up, works like a charm.