Screw On Single Speed

Joshm1991

Hi

Just out of curiosity, is it possable to convert a bike with the screw on type cassette to single speed?? Other than just shortening the chain and maybe sticking a tensioner on it!! Which is what im tempted to do!! :D Could I just use a freewheel single speed sprocket from a BMX in the place of the gear cassette??

Thanks in advance!!

Joosh

Hi Joosh!

Im pretty sure you cannot use a screw on.. i could be wrong though! Ive got the singlespeed all set up at the back (Ask for pics if you want to see!) and now just need tensioner :) i tried putting the chain on today without a tensioner but it was either just a bit too long and i couldnt get another link out :/ just gonna have to get a tensioner (4 jeri).

Cheers pal.

Hey pal!!

First off, lets have a look at them pics of your conversion!! :D Mines all done now and I love it!! Only downside is I cant really go anywhere far cos if I do, I think i'll die of exhaustion!! :P EDIT: and yes, the 4jeri tensioner works very well!! :)

And I didnt think I could use a BMX sprocket.. I mean its not obviously for my Phase!! Its for my brothers crappy dirt/jumps bike!! Im wanting to make it as simple as I can for him because the rear gears are a bit dodgy and he wants his to be like my "proper bike" as he calls it!! :P Thanks anyway bud!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

Anymore suggestions/advice is still very welcome!!

Thanks

Joosh

Edited by Joshm1991

Ohh i see! Didnt realise you had yours all done :o get some pictures of yours up then because that will be more interesting than what i got so far :P But anyway heres a pic :)

83481d59.jpg

Lookin good me thinks! :D

Just took a pic of the other lad while i was there LOL

6ea959bc.jpg

... Im very well known round my town for the green pedals :giggle:

Cheers again pal!

Looks very nice!!

I'm just looking at the spacers on your setup!! It looks like the sprocket is going to be very far inwards towards the hub.. I had the same thing when I did mine!! When you put the chain on, it hits the loop on the tensioner where the cahin goes through!! I'm putting some pictures of how I did mine and its running pretty much central and the rear sprocket sits pretty much perfectly in line with the front sprocket allowing the tensioner to need little or no ajustment to get it to stop hitting the chain.

The order the spacers are on mine are (going away from the hub) big, little x 3, sprocket, little, big then the lock ring. This should make the front and rear cogs roll perfectly in line with eachother, therefore putting no bend on the chain!!

Let me know if this helps you!!

Joosh

Outside

post-29905-0-38286400-1310591141_thumb.j

Inside

post-29905-0-52292600-1310591198_thumb.j

Always wanted to try this!!

Try this link and it should take you to my facebook album!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.228879953805341.78566.100000500155511&l=3dcff94659

hahaa thanks!! :) yeah the back wheel hops with my AFRO hair!! :D all i'm doing there is rolling of the front wheel and hopping it when it goes onto the back!! I cant pedal kick sadly yet but i'm practising!! Its just keeping it on the back wheel without hopping I cant grasp!!

But yeah the whole spacers thing, just do pretty much how i've got it and it should line up alright!!

BTW, I've accepted you on facebook!! I was like "who on earths this!!" hahaa :D

Cheers

Joosh

Hi

Yeah there should be one little ring left over if you've put them in the order I suggested!! :) That should mean its central and not bend the chain!! You need hurry up and get that tensioner bought so you can get out and rid the damn thing!! :P hahaa

Joosh