Improvement Help

TrialsIsHard

Hi guys,

I need some help, I ride an Onza Limey 320, weighs about 9.5 KG.

Back at Tarydays 2011, I could sidehop 36/38 inches. A month or so went by, and by Radfest I could only side around 30 inches. Now I can barely side hop 25?! It sounds a bit like a riddle, except there is no logical answer for it.. My bike has stayed the same spec since when I was at my peak height, so the only variable is myself.

I did ride a few weeks of 24" street last month, but I don't think that damaged my riding too much. I have been going to the gym for the last few months, and have put on about 5kg. I don't think it's a power issue, as I'm not at all weak for my size. All I could think if is that I've put on shear power and lost my explosive strength that's needed for sidehops.

Anyone else have any theories on why I'm getting so bad?

Help would be appreciated!

Oli :)

Might sound silly but if I practise say taps to get them bigger and leave side hops for a few weeks I find I lose around 6" off my side hops! I guess it's just keep doing side hops to make sure you build the right muscles up

Yeah, I get what you mean, I have also experienced this with gaps/sidehops. Thing is I have been practising sides and they are still getting smaller?!

Improving your speed is one of the main things I think. When I'm having a bad day I try go for a bit more a speed and can knock up a few more inches. You just need to concentrate more on what your weak points are.

When you say speed, are you referring to explosive upwards speed? Slightly confused by your answer if I'm honest! :P

May have scared yourself and you cant make yourself commit? Ive been at just under 40" for sidehops for about 18months now i reckon? Cant seem to go any bigger.

Maybe, I think it's the whole 'leave a flea in a 5 pallet high jar.. and it will only ever jump 5 pallets high' sort of principle :P I'm going to do some explosive exercises I found on the interweb, and see how we go :)

thanks for the reply

• Like 1