Used Mountain Bike Depeciation

AndrewEH1

Hey,

Basically I've found someone selling an Orange Five S locally. He has spend around £3,200 on the bike in total most of it through optional extra via Orange when he orginally ordered the bike.

After a year what is the depreciation of a bike of that value after one owner and at least six months.

I'm only used to the trials market were used values for top spec bikes can be around 60% off retail (For obvious reasons!), but even DH and AM bikes must suffer a similar, but maybe not as high, depreciation.

Cheers for any help regarding this.

Edit: I should add that it is a Orange Five S 2011

Edited by AndrewEH1

It's pretty ridiculous. People will buy a bike like that, use it for a year, add up all the RRP of component parts (£3200 ish - even if they actually paid much less) and stick it on eBay for £3000. Even more ridiculous is that people seem to buy them. There's no sense in it if you ask me - I wouldn't spend more than 60% of a bike's initial value. A 2011 Orange 5S can be bought for £1750 brand new with full warranty. I very much doubt his bike cost twice that amount, whatever upgrades he has. For that bike, if it's a year old, you can expect it to need a new chain + cassette, maybe some brake pads and cables as a bare minimum. Then take off a bit for wear and tear of the forks etc. I wouldn't give him more than £1300 for a used Orange 5s, personally.

Bear in mind there are some people that ride once or twice a month and look after their bikes immaculately. Or others that ride 3-4 times a week and never do maintenance. So a 'year old' MTB can mean very different things.

This one looks pretty mint.

About all the upgrades. The owner has basically gone on the Orange website, added all the extras that are worth while. He has only ridden it around a dozen time on some trails during the summer and has been serviced, so it seems to be in great condition. I'm going to look at it on Friday.

Also, after calling the guy, it's the latest model.

Edited by AndrewEH1