Rear Mechs

tom_dot_com2

Ok so I'm a little out of date with parts these days, soo....

I haven't ridden trials in quite a few years (mainly XC these days) but fancy building a bike which I can ride dirt on and also do a little hoping around with too. I would like to have some gears at the back but without the usual banging around of the rear mech. Is there any rear mech or device which offers 8/9 gears at the back but stays fairly still when not in use?

Tom

It might be a touch decadent for trials but if you do want to run gears and have a locked out mech then i'd suggest the new Shimano Clutch mechs (such as SLX, XTR & Saint) as they have the ability to be fully locked out with a little switch on the mech which might be a better alternative to the usual method of locking out a road mech by removing the spring.

It might be a touch decadent for trials but if you do want to run gears and have a locked out mech then i'd suggest the new Shimano Clutch mechs (such as SLX, XTR & Saint) as they have the ability to be fully locked out with a little switch on the mech which might be a better alternative to the usual method of locking out a road mech by removing the spring.

Sounds like this could be the key. Do you know if any offer a remote lock function via switch you can mount on your bars?

Nope, that'd be relatively absurd. With mountain bike handlebars already full with extra shock-lock out controls and dropper posts remotes I think one for your mech would be pushing it a bit. You wouldn't want anything extra on trials bike handlebars anyway - it'd be snapped off in no time.

Nope, that'd be relatively absurd. With mountain bike handlebars already full with extra shock-lock out controls and dropper posts remotes I think one for your mech would be pushing it a bit. You wouldn't want anything extra on trials bike handlebars anyway - it'd be snapped off in no time.

Having a browse of the mechs previously mentioned I noticed they all boast "No chainstay contact". Do you known whether they are designed to avoid contact with the frame whether the lockout switch is on or off? (with lockout preventing further movement?).

Yeah they're a pretty good thing to come along. I wouldn't blow money on an XTR with the chance you might mangle it with trials use so maybe look at the SLX as it'll be tough and not so expensive. I'll be getting one for my Five if i'm ever unlucky enough to reck my Saint mech.