Aluminium Discs/pads

Wheeler

Hi there im just starting up trials agian after not doing it for 8years. Im just building my bike back up and noticed i had aluminium discs and i seem to remember i had special ally brake pads, but cant find any on the net so thought i would ask to see if anyone knew if this is correct.

I can't see aluminium rotors being used for trials, think they'd get buggered up too quickly for the price. Any of the ally rotors I've seen have been the floating rotors with an aluminium spider and stainless steel braking surface.

Most rotors will be pretty light depending on profile - maybe 110g for a 180mm rotor and I've seen some 165mm rotors at about 80g.

Edited by SunnyBoy

I'm sure they're aluminium. But any way what I needed to find out is whether or not I need different pads, or can I use normal pads?

From what I remember the pads I was using back then had a red back plate and the pad when new was a sandy colour if this helps.

Cheers Ian

all organic pads are ok kool stop dont make different organic pads :)

i remember years ago a few companys were using alloy rotors with special brake pads, i think it was koxx or monty.

but i am talking about 2001-2002 and i think disc brakes have got so good steel works better now. you know

I can't see aluminium rotors being used for trials, think they'd get buggered up too quickly for the price. Any of the ally rotors I've seen have been the floating rotors with an aluminium spider and stainless steel braking surface.

I have been using a Prototype Chorrilas ally disc rotor and it seems fairly good so far. I have found that braking performance is worse is dusty conditions but it may have something to do with it being solid. Its very light for a rotor too!

post-23842-0-74996500-1345578563_thumb.j

I also have a brand new Plazmatic disc with softer compound pads, don't think ill be trying it either to be fair lol,

Sam.