how

kavan humphreys

It's all timing. Start hopping then when on the floor (I.e. not in the air as it tends to end badly if you are, normally flicking the back up and going over the bars :P) lower the front, quickly release the brake and give a small kick of the pedals, dominant foot forward. This will send you forward, then catch it with the back brake. Now you can bring the front down, back to two wheels and just do the single hop forwards (generally what happens when you are learning) or try to do another and chain them. Trying to go up and down the road, although amusing, is pointless. In comps you use power moves a lot so short burst kicks are the thing to practice and getting power in to your pedal kicks instead on trying to just hop aimlessly down the road is the thing to do in my opinion. Hope it helps, but I'm not much of a teacher as I'm nooby myself :P

Edit: Actually, go to trash-zen. They do a better job explaining than I do :P

Edited by onzatpro09
  • Like 1

In my opinion the best way is to learn good brake control .rolling without trying to hop . Ok your on your bike from stand still or trackrdstand with your good foot forward power the cranks lifting the the front wheel in to the air, then pull the rear brake.

Finding your balance point is key, once you have done this say as many times as it takes or you like.

In this order bring front wheel in to the air. To your balance point, pull your rear brake take a mo then let the front wheel drop slighty and then lighty release the rear brake at the same time as u power your cranks slighty .yep the rear wheel will roll and bike will move forward ,front wheel will rise then pull your rear brake sharpish.repeat this seqeunce as As many times as you like with practice

will become easy .

You need to learn this if you dont pull the brake in time the bike will flip.

the simply Idea is a pedal kick without ahop.

Other things to think about is how you hold your brakes

Alot of riders when they first start out squease' The brakes with all four fingers or a full hand. Try and learn with single finger or two ,youcan move 1 finger faster than four fingers.

proberly the Most important , does your rear brake lock/work good?

you need to be able to trust your brakes. Hope this helps

agood film to watch is

mastering the art of trials

with ryan leech

proberly better to watch than listen to me haha im old

Yea i no what u mean ,some learn it fast . Some it takes alittle longer

For me when i first started out, i thought i would never get it. Seemed inpossible ,two many things todo. Like many i did alot of hopping on the back wheel when i started out backwards ,sidewards ,360 in circle you name it on kirbs off kirbs. I went hopping mad .

Anyway after all this i still could not hop forward lol.

Then by luck one afternoon out on my bike.

a fellow trials rider with some year of riding under his belt. Was riding my local

To me He was the don, pedal kicking up stuff. off stuff spins just made it look so easy.

also the fact i had never seen it in the real only on you tube

. He adviced me not to hop to much anymore lol learn the pedal kick without the thought and need to hop, it worked.

Some times just being inspired by some one else is all it takes

never quit never ,never give up . Practice and enjoy your self is all it takes

as they say

rome was not buid im aday