Trialtech 108 engagement freewheel

Nathaniel

Hey guys, 

Has anyone heard anything about the trialtech 108 freewheel breaking? Ever used it personally or know someone who has used it? I’m trying to build a long lasting wheelset for my street trials bike and haven’t found a freehub that doesn’t skip for some people. I’ve heard a few stories about i9s skipping and just really do not want that to happen- but maybe the freewheel has the same risk of breaking in other ways? 

2 hours ago, Nathaniel said:

haven’t found a freehub that doesn’t skip for some people. 

That's the crux of it really. Everything will break / skip / fail at some point, its just about picking what seems to be most reliable from reviews etc.

The Trialtech 108 is the same as a bunch of other freewheels from other companies, but it is a solid unit. Proper maintenance goes a long way, as with all drivetrain components.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 5:53 AM, Nathaniel said:

Hey guys, 

Has anyone heard anything about the trialtech 108 freewheel breaking? Ever used it personally or know someone who has used it? I’m trying to build a long lasting wheelset for my street trials bike and haven’t found a freehub that doesn’t skip for some people. I’ve heard a few stories about i9s skipping and just really do not want that to happen- but maybe the freewheel has the same risk of breaking in other ways? 

I've used the spline one on their cranks for for more than a year and they have never skipped. They do eventually work their way loose and you have to get a pin spanner to get the preload right again, but other than that they are great.