Under Biking and my Cannondale F700

Private Repress

I’ve been really getting into ‘underbiking’ recently, which for those not familiar with the term basically means using a bike that is not all that well equipped for the ride you take it on. I’ve built a fair few 90s mountain bikes, even welded disc mounts to one. If you haven’t tried underbiking, you absolutely should - it’s incredibly good fun and relatively cheap- you  can get a 90s or early 2000s MTB for peanuts.

I’ve done a fair few rides on my local trails on fully rigid old skool bikes with v brakes and it really does make a mundane route (when ridden on on a full susser) come to life with new challenges to overcome. But it did get me thinking about a hardtail with front suspension for something in-between. 

A Cannondale in blue and yellow with a headshok was a bit of a dream bike when I was starting trials biking in the late 90s. Having been to see Martyn Ashton a month back do a talk about his career, it reignited my want for an old Cannondale.

I was lucky enough to have an ashton beast of the east way back when which I massively regret letting go. We’ve all been there eh!

A bit of eBaying and I found a seemingly good example in XL that looked fairly original from the photos:

IMG_9730.thumb.jpeg.aa99b88b619f9316092b3f69ef3f6563.jpeg

The main issue was it was in London, I live in Nottingham and posting wasn’t an option.

So after work one night I decided a road trip was in order. I knew immediately that stem was going to feel awful for the more upright riding position I’ve become used to. The stars kind of aligned as I managed to find a 90mm more modern version in the relatively rare 1.56 inch steerer tube clamp size. To top it off, it was also in London, 15 minutes from where I would collect the bike. The stem is a bit high on rise but needs must until something lower becomes available.

Upon collecting the bike, it was immediately obvious it was completely original. Even down to the Hutchison mosquito tyres. I was blown away by how good condition it was in. Even the Julie brakes were sharp, surprisingly so!

That said my intention was always to tweak the bike with components that were up for a bit more ‘abuse’. I still like the odd bit of trials when out on the trails.

Fast forward to today….

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.5edde425467f132cd698f21af9bb9d58.jpeg

I’ve changed almost every part 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s almost in its final form. As mentioned, I’d love a lower stem, possibly shorter. Bits I’ve changed:

Wheels: WTB i23 rims, built onto hope pro 2 hubs. Relatively light weight and super reliable.

Tyres: originally I had billy bonkers, but they were awful on mud. These are made by baldys. A budget brand but my goodness are they an improvement. Really impressed with them. And they have a little bit of a retro look. Thanks to Alex Shovlin for the recommendation. 

Brakes: keeping the magura theme going, I used a set MT Trails, running them the opposite way around though, 2 pot on front and 4 pot at the rear (once a trials biker… always a trials biker).

Running gear: Shimano deore 10 speed shifter, clutch mech and cassette: 42-11t. Chain is a KMC.

Cranks: RaceFace turbine LP cranks, with a blackspire snaggle tooth 36t NW ring. I did run some polished middleburns with a beautiful Medium chainring, but they are far too ‘blingy’ for this build and looked so out of place. I do have an another project they should work well on though. 

IMG_9958.thumb.jpeg.cc9583a6f32c186f64f3319dabe882d1.jpeg

Pedals: some cheap but cheerful plastic ones from Ali express. They are temporary whilst I rebuild some DMR vaults (Brendog signatures)

Bars: my least favourite bit, nuke proof bars, they feel okay, but I’d like some thing with a bit more rise (2.5inch), preferably a glossy black finish for when I replace the stem…again.

Seat: coda 700 (selle italia) to replace the cannondale saddle that came on it. The yellow logos were much needed, it’s also a very similar profile to to a flyte saddle, which I like. 

Having been out on a few local rides, I’ve fallen in love with it. The long top tube and shorter stem makes for a modern feeling bike with your weight planted quite centrally.

I’ve been riding it on routes that I would have previously ridden a 2015 cannondale trigger full susser. It’s nailed them, and made it much more fun in the process. I also left my mates behind on this… which I haven’t done for a while on the trigger. The perfect bike for such rides.

The headshok has really taken me by surprise, this one has 80mm travel, works well and exceptional over small bumps due to the no stiction design with needle bearings. I’m sure my view will change when it comes to servicing it though 😂

• Like 5

• 1 month later...