Profile Hub/wheel Faq

Olly C

The Profile Racing Mini BMX Cassette Hub thread by Olly C.

One of the best choice's of hub for a Mod Trials bike is the Profile Racing Mini BMX Cassette Hub.

This Hub Comes in 3 standard colours and it may be possible to order a different colour direct from Profile Europe at a small extra cost. The cheapest place I've found in the UK to buy this hub from is Wiggle and can be found here:

Profile Racing Mini BMX Race Cassette Hub - Rear - For Black/Silver ones (Buy a 36h hub with 12t cog)

Profile Racing Mini BMX Race Cassette Hub - Rear 10mm Gold - For Gold ones (Again buy a 36h hub with 12t cog)

Once you receive the hub you will usually then be faced with the problem of finding someone to build it, The hub makes this worse because the flanges on each side of the hub are different sizes meaning you need different spoke lenghts for each side.

To determine the lenght of the spokes needed is VERY hard from my experience, I phoned round atleast 5 different shops and people inc Profile Racing Europe, well known BMX shops and varied wheel builders, all of the people inc Adam Read (Tartridge) quoted me different messurements (Y)

So I found a place that will allow you to send the wheel to and build it for you and send it back! The shop is called JT Cycles in Ely and details of it are here:

J T Cycles

Chettisham Garage,

Lynn Rd Chettisham,

Ely Cambridgeshire,

CB6 1SA

Tel: 01353 667627

The price of spokes is £10 and the build is £10 and sending it would be ontop of that if you are not near. (map can be found on Yell's site) From my experience the wheel build is incredibly strong and the man takes wheel building very seriously. I've now had mine for a few months and it is still perfectly true after smashing it about somewhat.

My wheel was and Alex DX32/Onza rim (good choice :P) Built 3x drive and 4x non-drive I believe. The turn around was about 2 days even though he didn't know what to expect with my wheel and didn't have the spokes.

The cranks I run with my profile are standard Monty X-lite mod cranks for around £60 from cleanbikes. I've found these to be super strong and craig lee scott has been using the same pair for ages with no problems which cant be bad, I bought an 18t fixed cog to go on the cranks from N.S.E. for £19.50 + £2.50 postage. This aparently can be purchased from Tim at X-Street for cheaper :P (ring after 6 on weekdays) X-Street also sell echo mini bash gaurds to protect the cog for £18 this is helpful if you sidehop up drive-side since it prevents a mashed cog and the hassle of getting it off and getting a new one :P

A Few Questions and Answers are listed below:

What ratio is best for mod bikes?

I found the best ratio is 18t front 12t rear as this is how mods are mostly meant to be run :P

What do I need to run that setup?

Buy a Profile Racing BMX Cassette Hub with a 12t then buy an 18t fixed cog from Echo/Koxx dealers.

How does the fixed cog fit on??

The fixed cog screws onto the cranks as a freewheel would.

(You can protect this cog by buying an Echo Mini Bash (£18 X-Street) or Coust one if you prefer)

What cranks are best?

For standard mod cranks (158mm ones) I'd say Monty X-lites there not too expensive and seem realy strong, they come in black only.

-

If you looking at buying Middleburn Super Pro Trials cranks (170mm I believe) then but 16t ones and instead of buying a profile with a 12t cog get a 10t cog.

What chains best?

I'd go for a beefy strong one, I find the KMC Kool is the only way really and is rated by nearly all trials riders :P You can pick them up for about a tenner from Billy's.

End.

Thats about all you need to know B)

If you would like to see the different crank setups with profiles heres two:-

My T-Pro with 18t fixed cog and 12t profile cog: Here

Phil Whites Zoo! Python with 16t Middleburn Super Pro Trials cranks and a 10t cog on his profile disk hub: Here

There we go then the profile run through for you lovely people,

Olly

Edited by Olly C

To determine the lenght of the spokes needed is VERY hard from my experience, I phoned round atleast 5 different shops and people inc Profile Racing Europe, well known BMX shops and varied wheel builders, all of the people inc Adam Read (Tartridge) quoted me different messurements  (Y)

Its not!

My lengths were definitely correct.

Isnt your wheel is now a random 4x/3x mix bodge? B) Are the spokes actually the right length?

• 4 weeks later...

i am now using the 8speed profile on the rear of my bike.

its great did a few miles road riding in my cannondale to bed it in and used it for the first time yesterday.

really impresed with the hub.

great reliable engagement(not slipped yet)

waynio built it up for me.

i asked for a silver one but he built a black one up.

but im not complaining cos i just stuck it on with a red front hope it dont look shit.

anyhows great hub. i will definatly be recomending it to all my mates.

gallery_116_147_1091314120.jpg

Edited by Bucky

• 11 months later...

Available in more colours - Silver, Black, Red, Blue, Gold, Tangerine, Lime Green.

Also Onza 18t cogs(£18 including p+p) are available from Tartybikes, as well as a new Echo ti-nitride un for a little extra(£20 including p+p).

I use 170mm Tensiles with my Profile and i am currently using 22t:16t gear ratio.

The old echo front freewheel cranks tended to strip apart on the threads, and the Monty cranks snap.

I would recommend Tensiles or Zoo! cranks, available at TartyBikes.

I also would strongly recommend a Tarty Wheel build, which is available at....TartyBikes (N) Its £10 for spokes(Muntiny BMX spokes) and £10 for a very strong build.

www.tartybikes.co.uk

www.selectbikes.co.uk

These companys stock the above products.

Edited by dan_t-lite