Big Al's Top Tips

Guest Al_Fel

Guest Al_Fel

Do's

1: Do try and buy the best stuff. It lasts longer in most cases.

2: Do Learn how to fix your bike yourself.

3: Do buy Mavic rims X517 front D521 rear.

4: Do ride by yourself get into the habbit of going out on your own it can be great fun.

5: Do buy a thick DH tube for the rear.

6: Do get a mini seat.

7: Do learn how to side hop to the left if your right foot forward or right if your left foot forward.

Don'ts

1: Don't buy shimano hubs. Try and get a hope.

2: Don't feel the need to buy maguras right away or at all.

3: Don't bother with a rear disc.

4: Don't buy fully built bikes. Unless its a 20"

5: Don't use tar.

6: Don't feel the need for a tyre over 2.3" on the rear.

People will disagree with me.

Thats why its called Big Al's Top tips.

Nice one CTT

Edited by Al_Fel

Guest Onzaboymark

Mark's Tips du Jour:

Do it your own way.

Whilst it can be good to gain extra technique refining points from watching other people's riding - do it your way! It's the best way to do it, as you'll be more confident on your bike because it's be a more natural, confident way for you to ride it. For example, so people backhop with a completely straight back. I don't, I do it with my back curved but my arms crunched up. I used to try doing it straight-backed, but it just wasn't for me.

Don't feel the need to learn X trick because everyone else is doing it. If you don't, for example, want to learn wall-rides, don't. Do things your own way. If someone shouts you down for doing it, sod 'them. Your riding - it's your way of doing things.

Don't buy X part because it's "the" part to have.

Sometimes, things that work out for other people won't work out for you. One man's meat is another man's poison. Some people don't like trials bars and high-rise stems. Some people do. Get what you want, not what X rider has.

Ride as much as you can, but ONLY WHEN YOU WANT TO. DON'T JUST RIDE FOR THE SAKE OF RIDING. It's key. I know it's cool to say "I ride 24/7." BUT, what's the point if you're not enjoying it, and it sucks? We all have bad days. Accept that. Just do what you feel up to. Then, when you're having a better day, come back to what you were trying before. But don't just go out if you're bored or something, especially if you're a learner and you're finding X trick hard to learn - like backhopping - loads of practise will undoubtebly help your technique, but on the same token, loads of practise will bore you to tears, and possibly put you off riding.

Try and learn as many things as possible. I know that sounds like a contradiction to what I've said, but try and learn different ways of doing stuff. Don't just think "I can do it this way, sod everything else." Trials is about doing obstacles. Said obstacles won't always be set-up as you'd like. To broaden your horizons try and learn different methods. It works.

I'll probably add to this when I can remember what I was going to say...

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prawn

DONT try too manyu x-ups with bars of 29'' and over because after a while it really starts to hurt ur shoulders :">

also, i presonally see no need for thick rear tubes, y both with a bit thick tube wen u probably already have a heavy downhill tyre? just put more air in it, also, thers nothing wrong with tyres over 2.3 on the rear, i reckon 1 of the ebst rear tyres ive used is the panaracer emgablastr at 2.5, it weighs jsut 800g and only costs 13 quid so it cant be bad can it? thers no harm in trying

no offense al, sory if ive ofended u, jsut my veiws, i agree with most of the others

but tar can slo be good as a last resort wen ur having a crap day

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dave33
Do's

1: Do try and buy the best stuff. It lasts longer in most cases.

2: Do Learn how to fix your bike yourself.

3: Do buy Mavic rims X517 front D521 rear.

4: Do ride by yourself get into the habbit of going out on your own it can be great fun.

5: Do buy a thick DH tube for the rear.

6: Do get a mini seat.

7: Do learn how to side hop to the left if your right foot forward or right if your left foot forward.

Don'ts

1: Don't buy shimano hubs. Try and get a hope.

2: Don't feel the need to buy maguras right away or at all.

3: Don't bother with a rear disc.

4: Don't buy fully built bikes. Unless its a 20"

5: Don't use tar.

6: Don't feel the need for a tyre over 2.3" on the rear.

People will disagree with me.

Thats why its called Big Al's Top tips.

Nice one CTT

i do agree with most of this but rear disc can be very powerful

and as for rims i would say that its a good idea to stick with mavic rims

Guest zebdi.trials
i do agree with most of this but rear disc can be very powerful

mayb but u cant feel the 'bite' that a magura has :D u can feel the maggy locking up, but a disc you've gotta just pull lever in hard and guess when its locked up :-

Guest the_dude

get a job. and dont compromise parts. buy a good V to start with, or the £10 acera ones and a new noodle (no joke, they work v well)

DONT BUY AN ELGATO! there heavy, they grip well, but they have NO snake bite protection.

Guest Jimbo Limbo (Trials Chimp)

mayb but u cant feel the 'bite' that a magura has :D u can feel the maggy locking up, but a disc you've gotta just pull lever in hard and guess when its locked up :D

er what? you can feel when a disc locks up, co-insidently at about the same time your wheel stops moving.

i can certainly feel when my mag locks up though, well i say feel, i can hear it squeeling from the ammount of tar on my rim :-

• 8 months later...
why do you learn to side-hop to the right if your left foot is forward and vice versa. thanx-vaughn

Because you can learn how to sidehop to back-pedal.

It's a nice move to learn, enables you to hop up REALLY high stuff.. It's the sidehop's version of going to bashguard instead of backwheel, hehe :unsure:

why do you learn to side-hop to the right if your left foot is forward and vice versa.

if you side hop to the left with your left foot forward, you might hit your left foot as you lunge upwards and sideways. If you hop to the right, with your left foot forward then your right foot is well out of the way. And Vice Versa

Also what 'Janson' said...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...