Adobe Premiere

modx-lite

I'm editing a vid at the moment, getting towards being finished, finally! (Y)

BUT, I want to have 2 clips playing at once, sort of overlayed, I'm sure ive seen it done well before. But wheever I do it, it looks...shit, basically. Ive done it by just changing the opacity of the 2 clips, is there a better way?

Maybe some way of having clip A only showing through certain parts of clip B, e.g. where clip B is darker? Something like that? Like I said Im sure I've seen it done well so hopefully someone can help

Thanks a lot

I'm editing a vid at the moment, getting towards being finished, finally! (Y) 

BUT, I want to have 2 clips playing at once, sort of overlayed, I'm sure ive seen it done well before. But wheever I do it, it looks...shit, basically. Ive done it by just changing the opacity of the 2 clips, is there a better way?

Maybe some way of having clip A only showing through certain parts of clip B, e.g. where clip B is darker? Something like that? Like I said Im sure I've seen it done well so hopefully someone can help

Thanks a lot

how about alternatively switching between the 2? getting rid of pointless bits from one and having a good bit from another playing? thats what i did.

Ash

dont know whether this helps or not, but

i've only ever done it via the opacity setting, same as you, or i've used a very very long dissolve, but that means it slowly changes 2 clips, rather than runing them parellal (sp?).

hope that makes sense.... (Y)

Simple mate...

On your timeline, add an extra video layer (right click on of the layers and select the 'insert video layer' option). Put clip A into video layer 2 of the timeline, and then clip B into the new layer, i.e. layer 3.

Find the tiny little arrows under where it says "Video 2" or whatever based on your settings. Click that to expand the layer into two segments. One, you'll notice, has the video clip on it, and the other has a red line going across. This is basically an opacity band. Having it full at the top, as it will be when you first see it, means full opacity and therefore no transparency.

So basically, to have both clips showing at once lower the opacity band of clip B, or whichever you have in the higher layer, as much or as little as you like. Leave the clip A opacity at full-whack, else you'll have a decrease in brightness of the overall look.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too complicated, but it's a piece of urine once you've understood the way it works.

Failing that, use the opacity settings. (Y)